Ceiling height

Henrik

Hello,
OK so me and my friend are starting up a studio. Our main market will be demo bands that want high quality demos and possibly independant record companies that need recordings on a budget. So we won't be a top pro facility, but not a hobby recording place either.

Me and my friend want to have a control room and an iso booth each, and a large recording room that we share. We want the recording room to be pretty large and good sounding, as only the very expensive studios around here have rooms that aren't minuscule and all dampened up.

We're going to float the recording room (and possibly also the control rooms), so one of us can work on a mix in his control room, while the other is recording a band in the live room. The idea is that the two of us working on parrallel projects will let us use the space we rent more economically, so we can keep our prices down.

So we're looking at a few places to move into. We're particularly interested in one of them for several reasons. But I'm a bit concerned because the ceilings in it are just under ten feet. Now with a floating live room, the ceiling height in there will be more like 8 1/2 - 9 feet.

So the big question is - is it possible to get a room with that low a ceiling to sound decent? Like I said, we're not talking top pro studio sound, but still we want it to be good. What can we do to counteract the low ceiling, and still get an OK room sound? Diffusion? Absorbers? Maybe just absorbers above where the drum kit will be (as I understand low ceilings are mainly a concern for instruments with sharp transients)?

Or is a room like this useless for our purposes? It's difficult to find something with higher ceilings that meet all our other demands.

Oh, and the place we're looking at is pretty much an open space of about 30x30 feet. Considering we want to cram two control rooms and two iso booths in there, what dimensions would be appropriate for the live room?

Any input most appreciated!

Thanks
/Henrik

Firstly to have two control rooms adjacent to a live room will require extensive sound isolation if you want to be mixing in one and recording vocals in the other. So a floating shell system is a definite requirement - but as you say you will lose ceiling height.

I reckon you can make a room with an 8'6" ceiling height sound fine if it's acoustically treated the right way.

cheers
John

John Sayers said:
Firstly to have two control rooms adjacent to a live room will require extensive sound isolation if you want to be mixing in one and recording vocals in the other. So a floating shell system is a definite requirement - but as you say you will lose ceiling height.

So you do think it's at all possible? The plan is of course to place the iso booths as far away from the live room as possible, with the control rooms in between.

The original idea is to float the live room and the iso booths using double sided gypsum walls, but not float the control rooms. But maybe we should just do it thoroughly and float all rooms?

John Sayers said:
I reckon you can make a room with an 8'6" ceiling height sound fine if it's acoustically treated the right way.

Great, that was what I was hoping to hear (as you may have guessed)!

So any suggestions on how to acoustically treat the room? And any suggestions on room dimensions assuming the 8'6" ceiling height? I think we could fit in something like 18x25 feet, give or take a few feet on each side.

Thank you very much!

Cheers
/Henrik

Back