Cee Dees

GuitarLegend

I have been trying over the years to record a decent CD. The quality is good, I have no complaints there. But for the life of me, I can't get it to list the track names. All I get is track 1, track 2 etc.

I have tried AudioLab 6. It goes through the motions - naming the tracks and CD text and whatever. But the track names don't turn up.

Not just on the burner I am using now but any burner I have ever used. I seem to be missing something.

Windows Media Player assigns track names when you get it to burn a CD but it burns the CD as a Windows Media Player CD, not a rooly trooly audio CD (as far as I know)

There was one time only that I was able to get the CD player to show the CD text on the LCD display. That was a Stanton C402 (the sound of which I love). But when I load it into Windows Media Player or whatever, I get the track 1 track 2 BS. I don't remember what I did that one time but it means that my burner is capable of writing CD text and track names. Pleeeeeeeeeease help :/

It's a funny one. I don't know the ins and outs but I know that I had to submit my CD data to Gracenote database if I wanted iTunes to recognise it.

As I understand it, any CD will show as Track 01, Track 02 etc, but your media player queries a database to find the names based on whatever info is embedded in the disc.

You'll find that if you manually enter the names, your software will continue to display them even if you eject/reinsert the CD, but another software suite will still see Track 01 etc.

Last time I created a CD for release I created the final copy, filled out the info in my media player, submitted to gracenote and then waited for a few days.
After that I checked the CD in a different computer and sure enough, the names showed up.
I've made CDs that gracenote wouldn't recognise after submission, which is a pain in the ass.
According to them it's pot luck if your CD is recognised as being unique, and if that's not the case....tough.

My computer will show the track names when I enter the metadata (I use Roxio Creator) and play it with the Roxio player, but it won't show using the standard Windows player, which is looking for the gracenote data.

I don't know the ins and outs but I know that I had to submit my CD data to Gracenote database if I wanted iTunes to recognise it.

Thanks for that. I never knew that. It makes sense though. Will check it out

It doesn't explain how the Stanton C402 was able to display track info, unless it is actually accessible on the disk

Apologies. I'm kinda half right, it seems.
Apparently CD text is/can be stored on the disc, but not all software is capable of reading it. (iTunes for example).

I guess the gracenote DB is an alternative or backup system then.

( :facepalm: I knew this...)

I burn CDs from Audition 3. It has no problem writing track names, album names, artists, etc. Are you sure that your software isn't successfully writing this info? What happens if you play the CD in a CD player, as opposed to on your computer?

Back