cdrs won't play right

Brian Ferrell

I recorded some compilation CDRs on my Plextor drive (at 8X speed) for my Rocktron Jam Box (a Sony CD/radio/cassette player boombox modified by Rocktron with a guitar input) so I could practise along with them, but although the CDRs play OK on my home stereo disc player, on the Jam Box they play OK for a while, then get to certain songs and there are annoying blank spots where the display blinks and the music goes out of time. I'm using Taiyo Yuden 80ZYPA 700mb/ 80 minute blanks. I tried re-recording the discs by re-reading them into the PC at 1X speed and recording them onto new CDRs at 2X speed but had the same results. I don't know if the problem is the Plextor recorder or the Jam Box or the Taiyo Yuden media. Does anyone think it would help if I re-recorded all the tracks individually from the original sources- CDs, cassettes, LPs- (a time -consuming process) at the slowest speeds possible?

I have e bit of a similiar problem. My portable CD player gives bugs on some CDR's where my normal system doesn't dee a problem. I (hink it's just due to the sensitivity of your player.

"Close session" may help

If your burning software allows it, check"Close session". This option is needed for older home and car CD players.

Yes, I was aware that there may be some problems using CDRs with certain CD players, but had hoped that the problem was something else, since practising with compilation CDRs was one of the reasons I got the Jam Box in the first place. I did contact Rocktron and they didn't know why there was a problem. However, j0nas may have hit on something that might help. When I recorded the CDRs, I used Plextor Manager software. I can't find the 'close session' option that he speaks of anywhere on that software, but my EZ CD Creator software has it. When I re-record the CDRs, I'll use that software. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. Thanks much for all your input. :)

mystery solved

I tried re-recording the disc with EZ CD Creator, using the 'close session' option at 1X speed, only to find basically the same tracks 'blanking out' on me. It made me question, "Why certain tracks?"- especially since they varied between digital and analog sources, meaning that there wasn't a problem with the source lacking certain digital data, since tapes don't have any. Anyway, I don't know what made me discover this, but I found that if I played the track at a lower volume, there was no skipping. Turn it back up- skipping. Apparently, the CD player in the Jam Box has no electronic skip protection and consequently, the loud volumes I was using, combined with the guitar being played thru it, was causing enough vibration to make the CD skip! It only seemed to be skipping on certain tracks because those tracks were recorded at louder volumes than the others which caused more vibration. I might be able to solve this problem by placing the Box on a soft surface, turning off the Mega Bass or at least playing at slightly lower volumes. I don't know why the technician at Rocktron didn't recognize this. I'm sure others must've had this same problem.

Funny you say that. I had the exact problem on my home CD player, and I tried a huge number of solutions until I settled on volume as the cause of vibrations. The diagnosis took even longer seeing that the stereo is actually kept on one of the speakers as a stand. The problem was solved simply by cleaning the lens of the player. It plays almost all CD-Rs well. There are a few with porblems, such as Moser Baer blanks, but the rest play just fine.

Yeah, I'd already tried cleaning the laser lens, but to no avail. I'm just happy that CDR incompatibility or a defective CD player isn't my problem. At least I can work around this.

Back