cda, wav, mp3 what is happening

kennedy connor

for years now i have been happily copying wav(commercial/homemade) from the plextor cdrw to my hard drive. The windows explorer shows them as wav files and it's just drag and drop from there. I recently have been setting up a pc for my daughter and when i use explorer the music appears as cda. files which can't be copied without going through a extraction process which is slow and a real pain compared to the drag and drop function. BTW this machine has a HP cdwriter plus both are running win98se. What can I do to make this like my main machine?
any help is much appreciated.

no

sorry but i don't think so!

they have always been .cda files. if you didn't have to go through an extraction process then you were doing something wrong.

if you swear you were copying .wav files from the cd, then it must have been a data cd containing the .wav files and not an audio cd. an audio cd will not have .wav files on it - not a commercial cd, anyway. the only files on a commercial audio cd that you will be able to view are the .cda files which tell the cd player about the track information (ie: start, stop times).

bye.
-mike-

I'm not sure what you mean by drag and drop function. As stated, CDs don't have .wavs on them and a .wav can't be played back on a conventional CD player. A .cda on a CD would have to be "ripped" to make it intp a .wav.

download dbpoweramp from:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com

load it up. after this, when you right click on the cdrom drive and click explore, right click on the cda file and you can click convert to - and then have the choice to put the file on your computer in a wav or mp3 format. This rips the file off the cd, and usually only takes 12 seconds...depending on the length of the track.

Plextor includes a utility with its drives that causes .cda files to show up as .wav files in Explorer that can be dragged and dropped. It looks like the HP cd-writer includes no such utility.

What I really like about this forum is that you always get alot of interesting replies. Thanks to everyone. The dbpower amp is a nice little utility...saves alot of hassle unlike Music match jukebox which has become a little overfed.

thanks again.

Back