CD Writer Problem !!! Help !!!

Mountaineer

Today, I was trying to make a Audio CD from a Wav file using Adaptec EZ CD creator 4.0 deluxe. I made one coaster . . . buffer underrun. I then performed testing which went OK. Then I tried again, only ran the Test and no recording. Every time I try, Adaptec hangs up my system about 5% complete into the test phase. Seems to be a buffer or memory problem but I can't seem to figure out why. It's never done this before. Any Ideas ? Is there any way to direct a memory block to the burning process ?

Oh, I'm running WIN 98, and yes I uninstalled and reinstalled the software . . . twice. No change.

Thanks,
PAPicker

I, personally, haven't had any probs running EZCD but I know when v.4 was initially released many people had probs and the update to 4.01 had supposedly fixed many of them.

Did you install any new hardware or software? Meaning, did you install something between when you didn't have this problem and when it started?

Ed

I had the same problem when I installed the 4.0 version, and know two others that ran into this problem as well. I went back to 3, since Adaptec didn't have an update out yet. If you just installed the new version, definitely get that update.

One thing that has caused me lot's of grief with cd burners is a little box entitle DMA.
If you right click my computer, go to properties, then view the properties for your cd drive, there should be a box that says DMA. It should NOT be checked. Every time I've had trouble that was the cause. I hope this is true in your case.

Good Luck

make sure you have the latest driver for EZ CD creator 4.0. It doesnt come with the software so you'll have to download it. It fixes many problems that I've heard of with this version.

Thanks for all tips guys ! I've been away from the computer for a few days and am just getting back to the problem solving.
>nodark, I did upgrade to 4.01 . . no luck
>sonusman, Yeah, I've installed lots of hardware and software . . . might be a registry problem or such . . . thanks !
>Jon X, I tried loading the old version of 3.5 that came with the burner . . . no luck.
>collinp, I'll try the DMA for kicks and grins, but I don't have much hope . . thanks.
dabluesman, I'm not sure what you mean by drivers for EZCD creator 4.0, but like nodark suggested, I did upgrade to 4.1. I also downloaded and installed the latest firmware revision for my Yamaha burner. No Luck !!

My next step is to install an HP 8200i burner I have. If it works, the Yamaha is going back. It may be defective. Thanks again for the help all.

Regards,
PAPicker

UPdate !!!
I said I'd try collinp's advice and disable DMA for kicks and grins. Well, I'm grinning ! It worked the first time ! Thanks dude, and Welcome aboard the BBS, collinp. I hope it wasn't a fluke or something. Tell me, collinp, will disabling DMA cause any interupt problems ? . . . and why would it tell you in the troubleshooter to make sure it is enabled ? Just wondering.

Regards,
PAPicker

Glad I can help! I'm not sure why it says that in the troubleshooter, double check to make sure that is actually what it says. My drive is a yamaha drive as well and when it was locking everything up, tech support gave me that to do. There should be no interupt problems or anything else for that matter, mine hasn't burned a coaster since!!!

Glad to help,
collin

[This message has been edited by collinp (edited 06-20-2000).]

Thanx for the tip but I wonder if that fix varies from burner to burner cause I have "DMA" checked on my burner and I don't have any probs. Another thing (I guess it's not the prob, since your good to go now) is do you have Windows managing your swap file or do you have it set and what are you virtual cache setting in your system.ini file? These are two thing that I noticed that will affect my systems performance.
(ex. for vcached setting in system.ini)
[vcache]
MaxFileCache=8192
MinFileCache=8192

Unchecking can result in a serious performance hit, however if you are like me you usually don't work on your PC while a CD is burning, so it doesn't matter.

Back