CD-RW problems... HELP!

saxman72

Hi there,

I have a Yamaha 8/4/24 CD-RW (scsi-internal) that has worked flawlessly for over a year. However, now it's only making coasters. I don't use it that much so I don't remeber the last time I burned an audio CD successfully. Could something have gone wrong with the drive, software, or diver? I also had a remote access internet receiver installed several months ago and that is the only thing I can think of that has changed. Could that alone screw it up?

Who can help me fix this or point me in the right direction? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Saxman72

BTW, I'm using WaveLab on a P3 450 Win98

HELP!!!!!!:confused:

Hmm... I could pop it into another computer (if that's what you mean) but I think of the 3 we have in this house, this is the only one with a scsi card. I'll have to check.

What I will do, however, is try a different CD copying program and see if that works for some reason.

Thanks j.

saxman72

well, I just tried using easy CD creator and I still ended up with an unreadable disc.

You know how when you look at a burned CD you can clearly see the difference between the written area and the unwritten area? I don't see anything like that on this. It all looks like its unwritten, like a brand new disc. However, when I pop it into my CD-R drive, it recognizes the correct number of tracks. It just won't play them.

And the test writing feature in WaveLab said that the writing test passed. Ugh this sucks! I'm not sure where to trouble-shoot first! Any ideas?

Thanks!

you could buy a new drive and test it...if you get a 14 day return with NQA, you have the option to return it....my guess is that your drive is fried...however, it might not be.

Try cleaning the optics. Maybe one solution.

Keep the write speeds down: about 4x if possible. If it's OK at that speed, you may be getting a buffer underrun: your 'puter is not supplying data fast enough.

Defrag the system and optimise it for audio work. Lots of threads around here to help you with that bit of it. Resist temptation to do other stuff while burning.

I would also suggest mixing down first and then burning using Easy CD Creator. Ensure the Error correction (underrun protection or whatever it's called) is selected. The only coaster I've churned out to date is trying to get a 24x CDROM supply data to a 24x CDRW drive. It failed, as it should have. The second was trying to use MusicMatch Jukebox to burn a CD from a set of MP3 songs.

Sang

Sang, or anyone,

Is there a recommended way to clean the optics of the drive? It wouldn't surprise me if the lazer or lens is dirty. I seem to have a dust problem in my studio. :(

Any info is appreciated! :)

Saxman72

There are commercial CD cleaners on the market.

These usually take the form of a a Cd with brushes and some liquid (sometimes).

I find them to be effective if used on a regular basis (Like weekly) and changed from time to time.

In your case, you may have to clean it manually.

Don't be scared, it's not very complex. If you have assembled this PC yourself or added this drive, you should not have a problem. However I use this procedure only for drives which are beyond commercial CD-cleaner. Maybe that would be a first step, before you attempt

Open the Drive after removing it from the comp.

Use a lint-free cloth or a small piece of paper, abut the size of your thumb nail, folded up into a corner. Run it gently on the lens head. It will move around a little in its socket like a regular eye would.

Clean the edges and the center in a circular motion, using very slight pressure. You will see the cleaning corner come out all black. If you don't, the drive is probably bust. For a CDRW drive, the lens will not be immediately visible. Since it's a high-power laser, a lot of drives have the lens inverted.

In case you feel you are not able to clean the drive manually, you should look up someone who does this regularly. If you are within warranty (that would be about a year, AFAIK) you may return it to the retailer, or ask for warranty repair. You should check with them anyway on non-warranty repairs if possible before thinking of changing the drive.

Thanks for the detailed info Sang!

I'll probably get around to trying to clean it this weekend. Unfortunately my computer is installed in my desk with all the cables running out a small cut-out in the back. It takes considerable effort to unplug everything in the back to take the 'puter out, and even more effort to acutally plug everything back in. :( Usually involves me laying sideways between my desk and the wall for a good amount of time, hoping I don't get stuck! And it's impossible for me to look into the cut-out and put my hand in there at the same time.

Anyways, I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

Back