CD-R , Zip, or both?

MBusby

I am about to purchase a new PC system for digital audio recording. Is ZIP still a good medium for back-up? For the purpose of backing up multi-track audio files, does a CD burner make more sense?

Also, can anyone recommend an affordable hard drive? Is a SCSI ultra wide 2 really necessary to avoid complications? I do not have the money for a dedicated music computer, so I will need to integrate my email, word documents, etc.

Any other hardware suggestions / experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A burner is the way to go, especially since you can also use it to create audio CDs of your music.

It depends on who you ask on this BBS but the general concensus is SCSI is not necessary for audio but the newer ATA66 (ide drives) that spin at 7200 rpm are good enough. Two drives are better than one. One for the computer one for audio. You can get by with one but you will not be able to record as many tracks and complications seem to develope. As for brands try Matrox, or Seagate but not Western Digital. Also make sure your computer supports ATA66.

The operating system is also a consideration. for fewer hassles think about NT4.0 or wait for Win2000.

There are lots of sound card choices, check out that forum and read some of the posts.

hope this helps a little.

That helps - thanks for the info.

From what I understand, Windows 2000 and the new Pentium systems should be shipping in a few months. Maybe I should wait to get my system?

Thanks!

Back