CD-R/dig recorder compatibility

Escalator?

Does anyone know about issues of compatibility between digital multitrackers and external CD-R drives? Is it common for a recorder to have only one type or a few types (i.e. brands) of Cd-R drives that are compatible?

I read somewhere that Fostex recorders (before the VF160 and the inclusion of an internal CD burner) had only one model of burner that was compatible, at least that came compatible w/o any alteration.. I think the brand was Lacie...

??

You will probably find an answer over at VF16.com but I think the compatibility issue has to do with storing program data rather than recording CD's. The VF16 has a digital optical out as well as RCA for sending sound to an external CD recorder. These outputs are fairly straightforward and its simply a matter of hitting play on the VF-16 and record on the CD burner. If you use an external CD drive to store program data, however, I believe you would use the SCSI output in conjunction with exporting software inside the VF16. As I remember, the VF16 SCSI output needed an adapter to attach to most external drives (the number of pins on the SCSI output doesn't match most external drive inputs). And the VF16's software has to be compatible with the drive. At the time I was researching this issue, Plexor drives were compatible although VF16.com had a short list of other possible drives. I also remember that storing program data via CD was not that great of an option given data and space requirements. It turns out that you could only store something like one program (song) per CD--at least that's what I recall.

Yo Upward Moving Steps:}

I do remember reading a while back that the Roland digital boxes, prior to built-in CDRW would ONLY accept a Roland CD player. Well, that's show biz.

Since most SIAB's now come with the built-in, not much of a problema.

Green Hornet:D ;) :cool:

I have a Philips cdr770 external cdr/rw that I use, with no problems. It has analog rca in's/out's, digital coaxial in/out, and an optical in. I use a Tascam tm d-1000 to submix into a pc via an ADAT/Edit card, recording onto Logic Audio Platinum.

Let me see if I have this straight - you're recording to sound card/PC, right?
I guess in my original question I was just inquiring about compatibility between CD-R drives and standalone multitrackers...

ez_willis said:
I have a Philips cdr770 external cdr/rw that I use, with no problems. It has analog rca in's/out's, digital coaxial in/out, and an optical in. I use a Tascam tm d-1000 to submix into a pc via an ADAT/Edit card, recording onto Logic Audio Platinum.

Escalator: I'm a little confused. Are you talking about stand-alone CD recorders or an external CD-R drive built to interface with a Mac or PC. As I mentioned above, there is no problem with recording from a SIAB to a stand-alone CD recorder provided you have analog/digital outs. On the other hand, a CD-R computer drive would have compatibility issues. Basically, you need software to record from the SIAB to the CD-R drive. Many SIAB's (like the VF-16) have such programs but they often work with specific drives. As the Green Hornet mentioned, this is less of an issue now that many units have built-in CD-R's. The software-hardware compatibility problem has been solved in advance by the manufacturer, so you don't have to look for a compatible drive.

Aha.
You've uncovered something.

I was using "CD-R drive" to refer to a stand-alone CD burner. Basically, I was equating the two things.

See, in my heart of hearts, I'm not a techie. I do what I can to pick up terminology - and throw it around too - but I sometimes completely miss details like that. Oops. To my mind the CD-R drive on my PC and a stand-alone burner are basically similar things (even though, if I stop and think about it, I can easily come up with differences in what the two gadgets do), so I used one name without really thinking of being accurate about what I was describing.

My mistake. Anyway, my question was really just directed at external CD burner drives to be attached to SIABs.* Trying to figure out if, supposing I had an older model SIAB, I could just attach any old burner to it and have it interface properly. I think I have gotten some answers already, but if this makes anything about the question more clear, add any input you want.

---------
*"SIAB" is one I can confidently say I know, natch.

Escalator? said:
Aha.
You've uncovered something.

I was using "CD-R drive" to refer to a stand-alone CD burner. Basically, I was equating the two things.

See, in my heart of hearts, I'm not a techie. I do what I can to pick up terminology - and throw it around too - but I sometimes completely miss details like that. Oops.

No big deal. I retired from the "accuracy police" along time ago, although they do surveil this site so you have to be careful!

I believe that most any burner will record from an older SIAB using analog connections. With digital IN/OUT you may run into something like a sample rate issue but I'm not sure. Some older burners had issues with certain types of media, but that applies to the burner--not the SIAB. And, as I noted above, this applies to recording CD's as opposed to using a CD to backup program data. That's a whole different ballgame!

Hmmm,
that seems odd to me - I would have guessed that storing recorded material as program data would be *more* compact ... i.e. a CD could take many more songs' worth of program data than it could take songs recorded as a standard audio disc.
But it seems I would have guessed wrong.

Do you know if this is an issue with the VF160 as much as with the VF16?

dwillis45 said:
I also remember that storing program data via CD was not that great of an option given data and space requirements. It turns out that you could only store something like one program (song) per CD--at least that's what I recall.

Back