CD pressing

picostudios

So my band is recording and will soon be releasing our EP. WE dont want to make a mass amount of copies of this. Nothing like 1000 copies or anything. Just small amount like 2-400. Yeah, it isnt as cost effective that way, but I doubt we will sell 1000 cds in our lifetime. We are looking for more like 2-4 pannel cd cover in color, READ cd not CD-R. Any suggestions?

No duplication house will do short-run CD pressing. Small runs (less than 300) are ALWAYS burned CD-Rs because it's not cost-effective to create a glass master (which is the way CDs get pressed) for a short-run.

Last edited:
Blue Bear Sound said:
No duplication house will do short-run CD pressing. Small runs are ALWAYS burned CD-Rs because it's not cost-effective to create a glass master (which is the way CDs get pressed) for a short-run.

So, what's the difference in process between CD-R's and a glass master?

There are 2 types of CD duplication -- 1) pressing, and 2) burning.

All commercial CDs are pressed from a glass master (much like vinyl is stamped from a master disc)....

Non-commercial and small-quantity runs of disc duplications are always burned CD-Rs -- which is identical (with much tighter error control/tolerances) to the process one uses when they burn a CD-R at home.

The biggest difference between the two processes is the quality of the final disc -- commercially pressed CDs can be read/played back by ANY CD player (even those dating back to the 80's).... burned CD-Rs are much more limited in their playability and compatibility with a wide varoety of CD players.

hi.. i've been reading about this glass master.. let say.. i have already pressed the cd, pack it up... all done... the quetion is, will i get the glass master? or the replicationg company will keep them.. can anyone tell me?

picostudios said:
So my band is recording and will soon be releasing our EP. WE dont want to make a mass amount of copies of this. Nothing like 1000 copies or anything. Just small amount like 2-400. Yeah, it isnt as cost effective that way, but I doubt we will sell 1000 cds in our lifetime. We are looking for more like 2-4 pannel cd cover in color, READ cd not CD-R. Any suggestions?

www.superdups.com

thats who we use when KYF doesnt get us enough CD's, they can make a glass master, but only for orders of 500 or more i think its worth the investment, because once the glass master is made, its yours and you can get as many copies made for cheaper every time you go back

=P
-C$

for what it is worth - i used a guy from my area - i just wanted to get 300 cd's pressed as soon as possible, without sitting at my own computer burning cds for x hours.

i didnt do ANYTHING fancy - just gave him my "master" cd - and he burned me 300 by the next day - i have been selling them and passing them out as freebies . . . i have played them on my cd players on the computer, in my car, friends' vehicles, etc.

havent heard any problems . .

Back