CD Out with My Firewire 410

opdev

I set up my laptop with the M-Audio Firewire 410 through a Pair of BX5 monitors.

One thing I want to do, is be able to use the monitors as speakers for playing/practicing with CD's (when I am not recording).

I suppose I could just run the headphone out of my PC into the monitors but I like do try and do things without switching cables around.

Is the Firewire 410 the equivalent of a soundcard? IE, can I have my computer play it's basic audio using that device instead of my card.

In that case, I would be able to play the CD player directly.

I suppose I could also run the CD player into one of the line inputs on the 410 but I did not want to waste an input (I only have 2) and I'll be using 2 mics.

Finally, is there a small mixer I could buy that would solve this problem. I thought I could run the outputs of the m-audio into a small mixer and then send the mixer to the monitors. I could use tape in on the mixer to get my CD input in. This seems easy but I hate buying another thing for my desk just to get the CD in .

Simple solutions suggestions are appreciated.

I guess the easiest way would be to take the outputs of my 410 into a mixer. Then I could run a CD in ans run the output of the mixer to the monitors.

I was hoping do do this without any additional hardware.

ie, assigning two of the outputs of the 410 to the output of the laptops internal CD player.

I figured the 410 is connected to the computer so if I could use it as a soundcard I should be able to play out sound? Maybe not.

You should be able to play CDs from your laptop's CD-ROM drive directly through the 410. Just set the 410 as the default audio-device. You might have to check a box on the CD-ROM drive properties to "Play CDs Digitally" or something like that. This is by far the best solution because the PC will route the digital audio data from the CD directly to the 410's Digital/Analog converters, which should be leaps and bounds better than your laptop's internal soundcard.

Thanks,

That's what I did last night. Works great and sounds great.

Now that I have this thing up and running, I really love it.

Back