CD labels

Brian Ferrell

Well, I've recorded some of my old stuff from tapes to CD and have bought a Neato CD labeler kit. It's pretty cool, but the glossy labels are pretty expensive- $30.00 for 40 at Best Buy and Musician's Friend. Does anyone have an opinion of the Neato labels as compared to other brands? I've seen some cheaper brands (even cheaper than Neato's matte) but they all seem to be matte- not glossy. Are there any other brands that sell glossy labels? Is the quality as good on these cheaper brands? Will I be able to use the Neato applicator with them?
Thanks,
Brian

I just tried some IBM "Photo Quality Glossy Coated" labels. They're 20 for $9.95 here at Fry's.

The print quality is excellent on my BJC-6000, especially with the photo-color ink cartridge.

They work fine on my CD-Stomper; I assume the Neato thing works the same way.....lay the label down upside-down, then lay the cd on it upside-down. All the CD-Stomper really does is to align them properly.

For $9.95, they're worth a try.

Romeo

OK, thanks Romeo. It just seems like Neato is really jacking their price up. $30 for 40 as-yet-unprinted stickers seems pretty outrageous. We don't have a Fry's near here, but I'm gonna shop around for those IBMs. I should have mentioned I have an Epson 670 inkjet printer.

Brian

Hi. I'd doubt they're compatible with the Neato software, but not sure.

From what I've seen, all the different brands position their labels differently. Actually, I use Corel Draw for doing all my cd-rom labels and front covers. If you have a good word processor or desktop publishing software like Word, Corel Draw, Wordperfect, etc; chances are, you can make a layout with that software to work with any cd labels.

If you have Corel Draw 8 or newer, I can send you my layout. Also, I might be able to import the layout from Corel to Word if you have it.

Romeo

Don't know what you mean by 'a good word processor'. I have a Brother WP800-MDS and I also have Word Pad on my PC, but I doubt if either of these will do the job you are describing as I don't see any drawing functions on either. Maybe I'll get Corel Draw and do what you do, but I'll probably just stick to Neato for now- I don't see myself making that many CD-Rs. It's really nice of you to offer to send me your layout, though. Thanks a heap!

Brian

You might also want to look into a separate labeling program like SureThing CD Labeler (my personal favorite) that is compatible with most of the popular label types.

a_street, any idea where I can locate Sure Thing CD labeler? I've been to Best Buy and Circuit City but don't recall seeing this brand. Any place online?
BTW, Mr. Boogie, I saw Corel Draw 10 in Best Buy. Did I read the label correctly--- $500.00?!!!!!!!! I won't be getting that any time soon.

Brian

I've seen it at our local Staples...it's also available (along with a downloadable trial version) at http://www.surething.com

It's a pretty solid, yet user-friendly program - I highly recommend it. Kinda like MediaFace on steroids, only it works with multiple label types.

Last edited:
I checked out that SureThing site and..... Wow! I wish I'd bought their non-proprietary start-up package instead of the proprietary Neato. I like the fact that they include all that clip-art whereas Neato hardly includes anything. One thing worries me though..... it doesn't say anything about being compatible with the IBM labels that Mr. Boogie was talking about, although it does say 'compatible with all brands'. They list a lot of different brands but no mention of IBM. a_street, do you know if IBM is included?

Brian

Hey Brian, download the trial version of that software and see if they actually show you the dimensions/placement of cd-labels on the sheet.

The placement of the cd-labels on the IBM's has them centered horizontally on the page. Vertically, the center of the top label is about 3" from the top of the page. Then the center of the bottom label is 5" below that. There are two "spine labels " in the middle between the 2 cd-labels.

If this description is good enough, let me know. I'll scan this "dimensions page" that came with my labels and put it up for download.

Romeo

Romeo,

I tried that link, but TalkCitys said that the server couldn't find the URL. I think I understand your description of the IBM label. I downloaded the trial version of Sure Thing and they have what looks like the template your are describing. It's called 'CD Stomper-2up'. Does that sound like it might be the right one? It's 2 CD labels arranged vertically one directly above the other, centered and with 2 'spines' in between. It doesn't give the dimensions. I haven't actually used the software yet, but the trial version already looks easier and more comprehensive than MediaFace II.
Brian

Back