cd labeling w/o cd labels

westg8

hello - i have a question about cd labeling. Rather than to just buy cd labels to label my cd's, i was thinking of just using address labels cause i have many of those already (and since i would printing just a small logo of the band name, it would save a lot of ink). Then i would cut out the logo and put it on the cd. However, I'm afraid that this label will come off in the cd player. Is this a valid concern? Also, if this isn't advisible, how else can i label cds without using the cd labels or using magic marker? Thanks

Be careful with labels. If there aren't completely circular and symmetric they can lead to abnormal weight distribution of the CD and poor tracking. If you must use labels, make them very, very small and place them as close as possible to the hole.

It is still best to use a formal label maker or use magic markes or a Sharpie Ultrafine.

Also.......
With heat the label can curl and come off inside your CDplayer.

Inside a Car cd player this is not a pleasant sight.

One more warning. I labeled a CD with an actual CD label, but without a label applicator (e.g., Stomper). I thought I could just use the CD jewel case, put the label in the jewel case upside down, and put the CD on top.

Seemed to work fine - until...

Needless to say the label curled up, and got jammed in the player.

Four hours with a phillips screwdriver and a LOT of cursing, I finally got it out and got the CD player reassembled to where it would actually work again.

Be careful, be very careful.

westg8 said:
, how else can i label cds without using the cd labels or using magic marker? Thanks

I forgot to write that there is a company that sells a printer that will print on CD's but I think it's kind of expensive. Wort looking into if you intend to use it a lot becuase the labels are very expensive as it is ( at least here it is).

Jim S - Was the "Neato" question for me?? The answer is no - but I purchased the Neato applicator recently after I had the problem (assuming the lack of an applicator was the source of my original problem).

Why? Are there problems with the Neato gizmo? My kid used to have a Stomper that he and I used pretty extensively and it worked great (never had a problem). But we paid $30.00 for something that looked like it should have come free in a box of Crackerjacks. The Neato thing was only $10.00 (and also looks like it should have come free in a box of Crackerjacks).

Dach',

The question was addressed to anybody reading this thread. I have not heard anything at all about Neato. I've seen it advertised in the back of nearly every music magazine and see at most music stores. I was just wondering if anybody has experience with it.

I've only done one label with it. Seemed to work OK. At least the label has stayed on so far :)

These applicators look like they're worth about $1.99. However, $9.95 for the Neato was alot better than the $29.99 for the Stomper (although I liked the Stomper better). Plus you get about 10 labels with it also.

Back