CD insert software/shareware?

achasse

I'm having trouble locating a program that will allow me to design/print my own CD covers and inserts (for liner notes, lyrics, etc.). Does anyone have experience with this? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks,
ARC

I have some pretty high end programs, but for most stuff I just use Microsoft publisher. It caost's about a 100 bucks and does a pretty good job.

GP

I have *stomper*...but it crashes about as much as a NASCAR race at Bristol Tennessee. My wife loves to use M/S Powerpoint, as it is much more flexible (she says). She just scans in the blank label page for the template, and away she goes.

I have used several programs for this purpose. Stomper is one of them. I haven't had any problems with crashes with it, but I find it's a little limiting creatively. It is easy though and comes with a bunch of templates with artwork. You can get the program - together with the Stomper gadget itself (which allows you to put a label directly on the nonrecording side of the CD) and a small supply of labels - for about $25.00. If I recall (it was a couple of years ago) I ordered it from http://www.cyberguys.com.

For more creative designs of jewel case inserts, I have used Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Pagemaker. These are fairly high-end programs that would run $400 or $500 if you bought them. However, I did have one CD commercially duplicated (about 1000 copies) and I was able to give the Photoshop files for the front booklet and tray directly to the duplcating firm to use in producing the finished product.

I'm sure, however, that Word, Powerpoint or Publisher would work almost as well. You just need something with a ruler so you can draw properly sized rectangles. Once you have these in place (and hopefully saved as a template for future use) you just need to place the artwork and write your text. I'm not sure if you can do the spline text with these programs, as they would need a "rotate text" feature for this purpose.

high end stuff isnt photoshop. i guess that helps for images. But adobe illustrator and all the vector based layout programs that will run you the tiny sum of $500 are the best out there. besdies that. i dont know. i use illustrator.

I'm sure Illustrator will work for this purpose, but it is primarily a "drawing" tool. Probably good if you have artistic skills and want to design a cover from scratch. Photoshop, on the other hand, is an "image editing" tool designed for working with graphic files - digital photographs, scans, jpg's, gif's, tiff's, etc. Both programs have their place, depending on what you're trying to do, and what you're working with.

Once again, however, ALL of this is pretty high end stuff if you're just trying to make a cover for that bootleg CD you copied so you can tell what's inside the jewel case. In that case something like the software supplied with Stomper is probably more than adequate. It's pretty easy to use and cheap.

Back