CD duplication service files

I'm about to send a mastered CD off to print.

What file type is preferred for this last step?
It depends on who you're sending it to. For example, CDBABY asks you to upload 16bit wav files. KUNAKI asks you to burn an actual audio CD, put it in your drive and upload it to their site, which means you're sending them CDA (I think they're called) files.

I'm sure the company doing yours has a FAQ, and I bet that's one of the first 3 questions they answer. :)

The company I am using will accept any file type, it is up to me to give them a hard copy exactly how I want it... they do not change the master in any way, they are copying the exact files I give them.

So what is the preffered file type here?

CUE/BIN? I don't know.

I also want to have album information like song titles, album, artist etc to be read with compatible CD players.

It would be better if you will ask your CD duplication provider so that you will know what file type is preferred. This is quite hassle but this will make you sure that the mastered CD doesn't have any problem.

If they're asking for a hard copy - you need to create an audio cd for them.
cue/bin format is an image which stores any kind of data, but won't work in a cd player which is what you need.

In short, create an audio cd exactly as you want the final copies to be.
Burn it at half the maximum speed of your disc drive (rule of thumb to minimise write errors) and send that to the duplicators.
All they do is duplicate.

also worth sending a duplicate cd in case the master gets scratched.

Yes, make an audio CD - and listen to it a few times to make sure there are no issues with it. Listen with headphones, and at low and high volumes, too, to listen for glitches or problems.

And for chrissakes, make sure you're making a compliant disc. Don't burn with something goofy like iTunes or WMP and expect the copies to actually play properly.

If you aren't 100% positive you're submitting a RedBook compliant source, assume it's NOT compliant.

Back