CD burning problem

snipeguy

Andy Goldsworthy Wannabe
I have an album where three of the tracks are actually one long song cut into three files. In Logic the three files butt to butt sound seamless but when I export (bounce) and burn to cd they have a slight pop at the change over point. I have used Nero and Toast. Toast is the best but still not perfect.

Your thoughts people.

Harri

Don't cut your song into separate files (and don't use consumer software to create your CDs.) Just burn a single file with track markers defining the track change points.

If you do have to separate the track into different files, make sure you make the separations at zero crossing points in the waveform and that you soften the attacks on the initial wave peaks if they are too sharp.

G.

Don't cut your song into separate files (and don't use consumer software to create your CDs.) Just burn a single file with track markers defining the track change points.

If you do have to separate the track into different files, make sure you make the separations at zero crossing points in the waveform and that you soften the attacks on the initial wave peaks if they are too sharp.

G.

Thanks. Now to sound like a newbie; what software for Mac? I'm assuming defining the track points will be self evident.

and if I choose to keep separate files, how do I soften the attacks on the initial wave peaks?

and if I choose to keep separate files, how do I soften the attacks on the initial wave peaks?

Three methods come to mind:

1. Manually draw a slope

2. Apply a low-pass filter to the area

3. Apply a fade to the beginning of the file

Option #3 is probably most familiar to most people.

Thanks. Now to sound like a newbie; what software for Mac? I'm assuming defining the track points will be self evident.
First, don't apologize for "sounding like a newbie", Not only did I expect follow-up questions, but they are sensible ones one would expect. Everybody has to start somewhere, right? :)

Second, I have to apologize in that I'm a Wintel guy and am not as familiar with Mac software as some. But from what I understand from others here who's opinions carry weight, you might want to look at WaveEditor for the Mac or Steinberg's WaveLab for Mac. Setting track markers for burning is a fairly common and typical feature among the better wave editors, and I'd imagine that both of those would include that capability. Someone else (like one of the mastering engineers here) will hopefully come along and either confirm or deny that for us.
By cutting their volume, mainly.

If your track breaks are in normal rest breaks in the music, then you probably don't have to worry about it at all. If, however, you're inserting your track breaks right in the middle of the music with no real music rests to help you in that regard, then you probably A) want to make sure you place the marker at the point of a zero crossing in the wave (where the line of the waveform is on or intersects the -infinity center line), and 2) *maybe* knock down the volume of the first couple of wave rests or so (top and bottom). I say maybe because it's not always necessary or appropriate, your ears have to tell you that.

You can knock down the volume in any number of different ways, depending upon your editor and the tools it has that you feel more comfortable working with. Examples would include:

- Fade in. Just set up a small region containiing only the first couple of large wav crests and select it for fade in.

- Volume/gain change. Similar to the fade in that you set up the small intro region, but instead of having the computer place a fade in there, you just select the volume or gain (the name varies by editor brand) and drop it a few dB to soften the blow.

- the Pencil tool. Most wave editors allow you to zoom in on the wave and actually re-draw parts of them yourself with a "pencil". if the opening peak(s) of the new track are giving you a bit of a pop or click, erase them and draw your own smaller, smoother curves that don't pop or click.

- Volume/gain automation. This is a bit more advanced than most newb newbs prefer, but if you know you way around setting up and drawing a gain automation curve, you can draw your own custom "fade".

There are probably other was as well, but those are the main ones available in most editors. Fir more details on how they work in your software, just look them up in the software's "help" function.

Again, this volume adjustment may not be necessary in all situations, just if you pot the track marker in the right place with good software and your still getting a pop or click.

HTH,

Edit: Oops, I see BoulderSG beat me to the punch on some of this. Sorry BSG, didn't mean to step on ya or ignore ya there. :o

G.

thanks a bunch

You guys have been very helpful. In this case the single file/add track markers option is the way to go. I will now go and search out and acquire said software. Oh Goody Gee, more software to learn how to use. :-)

Thanks again,
Harri

I am such a goof.

I am amazed at how stunned I can be. It's a wonder I stayed alive this long.

So I'm about to install my demo version of Wave Editor when I notice an app on my mac called Wave Burner. Mmmm ..... never noticed that before. Well it turn's out to be part of Logic. And it rocks. All my issues have been dealt with. Life is good.

I am amazed at how stunned I can be. It's a wonder I stayed alive this long.

So I'm about to install my demo version of Wave Editor when I notice an app on my mac called Wave Burner. Mmmm ..... never noticed that before. Well it turn's out to be part of Logic. And it rocks. All my issues have been dealt with. Life is good.
I think Clarence just got his wings :)

G.

Has the software got a disc at once option? If so select it, if it makes the gap between songs too short add a few seconds of silence to the end of each song. When it's not selected the software stops burning between songs causing errors.

Alan.

Has the software got a disc at once option? If so select it, if it makes the gap between songs too short add a few seconds of silence to the end of each song. When it's not selected the software stops burning between songs causing errors.

Alan.
I couldn't find a "disc at once" option in Wave Burner (yet). But it didn't matter. When I set the gap between the files at zero, the transition was seamless. No pops or glitches of any kind.

It even had a neat feature: when you drag a file so it is slightly overlapping another, it automatically sets up a cross fade. Never needed to use it however, as the transition was perfect when they were adjacent.

Back