cd burner freakout in windows XP

sonnylarsen

OK. I have had no major issues in XP till now. I recently (about 3 weeks ago) reformatted and reinstalled because of some stuff I screwed up, and I have not had reason to reinstall Nero until today. I did, rebooted, and when I rebooted, my cd-rom/burner was nowhere to be found. When I opened my device manager, it was listed there, but with the dreaded yellow "!" . When I went to its properties, this is what it displayed:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I have never seen anything like this before. The useless windows help sugggested that I uninstall and reinstall, which I did, but to no avail. The same issue persists. I know the drive still works, at least to read, because I used my old startup disk for 98 and booted w/ cdrom support. This worked and I could read disk contents.

The only advantage I have right now is that I have very little holding me back from reformatting again.
everything remotely important is already backed up on cds and everything else I can move to my secondary hd.

:mad:

Did you go back to the Windows Update site and re-download all necessary updates. Re-installing Windows OS's nowadays is only half of the process.

Back