cat5e audio cable?

engine joe

has anyone tried using cat5e for audio purposes? i have access to a gob of the stuff (hundreds of pieces from 4' to 10') and will be trying it out for various audio purposes. this stuff might be useful as patch cables.

has anyone tried using cat5e for audio purposes? i have access to a gob of the stuff (hundreds of pieces from 4' to 10') and will be trying it out for various audio purposes. this stuff might be useful as patch cables.

Most cat5e isn't shielded, so it wouldn't work well. If you have shielded cat5e, you could probably use it, but AFAIK, it costs a lot more than audio cable.

Yeah, you can use it...although it would be better if shielded. We actually have a lot of stuff on cat5 at the station - a lot of equipment is designed around cat5 these days. Shielded, it's just fine - we've made +100' runs (analog & digital) with no major problems, and you can break it out to run stereo on a single wire, so that's kinda cool.

Personally, I prefer audio cabling. But if it's free, you don't have much to lose.

Back