Cat Stevens-The Wind-Practise

AaronChapman

Okay, I misnamed the title here(I'm working on The Wind now). The song is: Where do the children play :P. So I've been practicing the vocals for the song but It needs improvement. Any insight on things I need to address? BTW, once I feel my voice is corrected, I'll practice the actual finger picking style so the guitar sounds proper. I just like practicing the vocals first with simple strumming until its precise. Anyways, here is the raw practice recording without any effects :P. One of the areas that I noticed is that I need to work on my bridging more. Thoughts?
https://soundcloud.com/monkeyman103/mono-159

Last edited:
Your question may be better asked in the singing forum Aaron - this is the mix clinic.

However, my general impression is that your vocals are currently pitchy, timid and mumbly. Your tone of voice is fine and it would suit Cat songs.

I'd recommend you record the music, roughly, put the guitar away and just sing the thing about a hundred times - and get into the song. Every now and then, record a vocal track and listen back and see if you're improving your pitch, intensity and articulation. You might be surprised.

There aren't many really good natural singers here - most of us have to work at it. Welcome to our nightmare.:D

But don't give up, OK? The basics are there.:thumbs up:

Sounds like Eddy Vedder sing a Cat song.
Are you leaning down down toward the mic? It sounds constricted and you certainly need to get a little stretch on your range as you're falling short a bit.
It's a voice that'd probably get away with rural blues for a bit but you do need to expand.

Sounds like Eddy Vedder sing a Cat song.

agreed. is that your natural singing voice or are you impersonating someone? i don't know any CS songs, believe it or not, and i'm not familiar with his sound or voice in the least.

Hmm, it does have a bit of an Eddie Vedder quality. That's not a bad thing.
At to the vocal itself, there are some pitch issues especially when turning a word into multi- syllables.

Overall it sounds like your not comfortable yet with your voice or the track.
You're on your way, but more practice is needed.
:D

The Vedder references make sense. You also love Nick Drake, from what I remember. I can see that influence.

I liked the take. It's pleasant and charming.

Now, if you want it to sound more "professional" then you have work to do. The acoustic needs more detail and eq work. The vocal is overall good but a few parts need work, etc. I liked it, though. There's a lot of heart in it, and music doesn't have to be perfect.

Back