cassette to PC

SXdude

i have a cassette recording of my band from 20 years ago. there are about 5 songs on this tape. i would like to put them on my PC/CD. how do i do this? as cheap as possible.
thanks tony

If you have a tape deck with a stereo line out (two RCA Jacks) and a standard consumer computer with sound hardware, and some software to control the operation, it's a piece of cake. Most standard consumer machines have a sound card or a sound chip built into the motherboard, and there will be a 1/8" stereo minijack on the back labeled "Line In." (Sometimes this is not labeled that clearly, they'll use a stupid little icon instead that's maybe not that obvious.) And most machines offer at least some rudimentary recording application that lets you take the signal coming in the line In and save it to a file. There are also freeware, shareware, and payware applications out the wazoo to choose from.

To connect the deck to the computer, you need a cable that has two RCA plugs on one end wired to a single stereo 1/8" miniplug. Plug the RCAs into the left and right Line Outs of the tape deck, and the 1/8" miniplug into the computer's Line In. You will probably have to fiddle with the input levels to get them just right.

One more note: you do not want to use the minijack labeled Mic In. This is a mono input that has a preamp circuit to boost the tiny signal from the junky plastic mics.

I was able to rip some cassettes with my sons jambox.It only had a mic line,and a headphone jack.Fortunately, the headphone jack did a good job.On a side note, I have used other headphone jacks that were too 'hot" and induced too much distortion....Hope this helps...:)

win98 recording application?

My soundcard input is cryptically labelled, but I think I know which to use. What application in Win98se should I use to record with? Where is it located? Thanks...

Back