cassette tape types

abc123

How can it be that I have recorded with cassette tapes for years and only now I have found out that there are different Types of tapes -- I, II,and IV? Anyway, when I looked over my new Sony deck, bought for mixing from my 4-track and received yesterday, I saw it had settings for I, II and IV. Total puzzle to me but when I looked at my TDK tapes I saw they were Type I. Now my question is -- Other than quality, is there a difference between tape types? I did online search and found the different types for sale -- the IV one were "metal." Am I the only one out there that never knew there were formal Type Numbers applied to tapes?

To be honest that's pretty bad. Type II is also known as CrO2 or Chrome and are the most common type used for music. Metal is the best.

Why would you buy a casette deck for mastering? Just about anything else would be better.

Yo ABC + D & E:

Roadkill is being a bit forward about mixing to tape. Most everyone mixes to CD; however, I mixed to tape for a long time and got some very good results. However, it takes a lot of practice and a GOOD cassette deck to get good results.

What I find to be real fun is to take recordings from tape done on an 8 tracker of yore, my MD8 recorder of recent past, and remaster them in 16 bit on my Yamaha 2816. Some great results.

Most new tape decks will identify what type of tape you put in the box. There is a problem with "metal" tape in some decks. Roadkill knows that.

When you get tired of working hard with tape, get into the CDR or CDRW mode. You'll enjoy it brother.

Green Hornet:D :D :p :p :p :p :p :cool: :cool: :cool:

Yes, I think you're the only one that didn't know that. :-)

But seriously, I used to use type-II with my Fostex X-15 4 track and they work great. MUCH better than type 1. You'll be able to hear the difference. Seriously!

Well, that's what I wanted -- the unvarnished truth!

Actually, before I chose this method of mixing, I posted another subject & got good input. Recommendations there were mostly for computer approach. Since I am working with laptop with no Line In, which would recquire some type of adapting, and I was only looking for very basic results, I opted for the Sony deck. My first results are giving me encouragement for what is possible. They are rough and would make most of you cringe, I suppose, but I am enjoying. I will move up to Type II tape now that I am in the know.

Thanks

Back