Cassette recording from 244 playback on other model/machine?

Evom

Hi, if I can't get my Tascam 244 repaired, is it possible to play the old tapes on another 244 or other "cassette" model? Need to digitally transfer old cassettes and keep the 4 tracks separate.

I know it would be best to use my original 244 but would I have any extra trouble with the quality using a different machine for playback?

What Tascam models would work, if any?

Cheers

You can use the 234, 246, 424 series, 464 or 644 to play back your 244 tapes.

What seems to be the trouble with your 244?

Seems the rubber drive parts may have perished. The 244 is at a friend's and he said he hears the motor spinning fast but doesn't play. It was fine when I used it 25 years ago!

Anyway, traveling to Australia to visit him and have ordered the replacement parts although couldn't find a pinch roller anywhere. Hope they arrive from the U.S. Seller in time while I'm there and hope I can get it running again quickly. Want to transfer old multitrack tapes and thinking of purchasing a Zoom R24 for this and future, new recordings.

Good to know there may be other model options if I need to try and get/borrow a machine somewhere in Melbourne Australia.

Thanks for that however I am in transit this morning from my home in Bangkok to Australia.

Will keep in mind.

Cheers

I've used tapes recorded on a Yamaha MT4X, and mixed them on a Tascam 424, 246 and Fostex X3. Done that throughout the years with many different machines and I never ran into any serious problems. It could be though, as the heads are different between some brands (however minor that may be.) Good luck to you

Back