cassette recorder 4 mixdowns...

cracklin'

Hey all. I have a Tascam 388 and want to buy a cassette recorder for mixdowns and bouncing. I figure cassete would be fine cause its cheap and gets the job done. If anyone could recommend a good tape recorder under/around $100...that would be awesome.
I was looking at the Tascam 122. Is this a good machine? a little expensive though.
thanks...

cracklin' said:
Hey all. I have a Tascam 388 and want to buy a cassette recorder for mixdowns and bouncing. I figure cassete would be fine cause its cheap and gets the job done. If anyone could recommend a good tape recorder under/around $100...that would be awesome.
I was looking at the Tascam 122. Is this a good machine? a little expensive though.
thanks...

Although it may be cheap and gets the job done, it will be of lesser quality, degrading your 388 audio to an audible level. If you're ok with that then any of the quality decks from TASCAM will do the job. On the other hand, if you want to preserve audio fidelity, then you should find an alternate mixdown medium. Do you wish to present your 388 efforts on CD or cassette ? If it's cassette then by all means get one. If it's CD then you really should be going into your sound card when mixing down. Also, do you know you can also bounce on the 388, without the need for an external recorder ?

~Daniel

Your money would be better spent on a reel-to-reel 2-track like the Tascam 22-2 or 32.

The 22-2 uses the same size reels and type of tape recommended for the 388. It will give you truly professional results -- much better than cassette.

If you really want a cassette the 122 MKII is a good basic machine that will record/play normal, Type II and metal tape with a choice of Dolby B&C NR.

I have both a 22-2 and a 122.

I recommend the 22-2 as a solid, nice sounding and dependable machine for mastering.

-Tim :)

Back