cassette multitracking & powered vs passive mixers

zphillips

I recently got a Vestax MR66 (a 6-track cassette multitracker with no EQ) and need to get a small -- cheap! -- 6-channel mixer for EQ / mix finalization. I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha RM602. I'll be working with a parametric as well so mixer features aren't really important to me -- just need something quiet and that won't damage my Vestax / mixdown deck. I'm mixing down onto a Nakamichi DR-1. Until now I have been recording on cassette multitrackers with built-in mixers (Yamaha MT8X & Tascam portastudios) so I have no experience with using standalone mixers.

Sorry to rehash the powered/unpowered thing again but I have not been able to answer this question for myself by reading the other threads up here.

From what I can tell the RM602 is powered even though it's sold as a "recording mixer." What kind of mixer do I need to use in order to not damage my Vestax / Nakamichi? Or is anything fair game as long as I don't crank the gain?

Thanks as always

Hi
That same Vestax MR66 is was started me into this "Recording Bug". I had one in the early 90's. I used it with an Alesis 1622 mixing board that I still use. What do you mean by powered/unpowered? Are you refering to a live PA mixing board that will also drive speakers? If that Yamaha has stereo line outs you are safe, do not connect any amplified output to your mixdown decks.

VP

hi vp. I am not really sure what I mean. my understanding is that there are some mixers that I should NOT use because the voltage will burn out my cassette decks. I guess these are mixers that are designed for us with unpowered monitors etc. so I'm trying to clear that up. glad to hear you had a good experience with the MR66, I'm excited to get started on it.

I still have cassette masters from that 6 track that are kicking around. I will google your Yamaha and look at its specs.

VP

Do you have the manual? If not download this one Start PDF Download ... That mixer will work fine, it is not powered. There is a diagram in the manual that shows the back panel and how to hook it up to different equipment.

VP

thanks very much. so I guess I just need to look out for mixers that explicitly say "powered" or "mixer/amplifier?"

I don't want a powered mixer specifically... I just want a mixer with high & low EQ, mids if possible, cheap, analog, not very large or heavy, good pots, sliders, & at least 6 but no more than 8 channels in / stereo out. any recommendations?

Back