Cassette mastering

snellular5

neil young whore
I searched but couldnt find anything that was about this anyways, I record digitally and wish i had a reel to reel system but hey what can ya do. Anyways I was just wondering would it work to say add some of that analog feel to my music if I ran the mix out of my interface and recorded it to cassette then recorded what was on the cassette back into my daw?

Thanks

Matt:)

"That tape sound" does not come from 1/32"/track at 1-7/8IPS.

Cassette wasn't made for good sound - It was popular for its portability.

Note that vinyl is still 'cool' -- Cassette tape is a wonderfully forgotten memory.

Massive was right.
Cassette was marketed for it's ease of use and simplicity. You could easily fit an album in your pocket... how cool. Unfortunately they sound pretty bad.

I think you'd need at least a 1/4" stereo deck at 15ips for the warm tape sound. There's an actual term for mastering to analog from digital, but I forget what it is. Of course tracking to tape in the first place is going to give you the best tape sound.

Cassettes could sound pretty good but the variety of playback variations and the difficulty in matching recording device to playback for bias etc etc let alone NR processes caused some probs.
An LP played on a good TTable, with a good stylus into a good amp is revelatory.
A well recorded cassette played back on the machine it was recorded on and played through a good amp could be terrific.
The much sort after tape compression/warmth is does not offer however.
I always got a laugh at how people preferred the sound of a Dolby recorded tape played back on on non Dolby, indeed non NR gear. The massively bolstered sound that resulted from the incomplete NR process worked pretty well in a running car though.

There's an actual term for mastering to analog from digital, but I forget what it is. Of course tracking to tape in the first place is going to give you the best tape sound.
"Layback" -- And even that's a rarity. But no doubt - Tracking to tape (and pulling right off the repro heads if need be) is the shizzle. Summing in analog (but not necessarily to tape) is another favorite.

I get plenty of projects in that "ask about" layback - a few that request it specifically. But even of those, very few are actually sonically benefiting from the process. Even with a (IMO) fairly bad-a$$ deck and fresh tape. It's not like it's going to make the project sound like it was recorded to tape...

I agree that cassette would not be the ideal format for that "analog tape sound". And even if you did do it, you'd need to buy a seriously good cassette machine. Just a plain old cassette machine wouldn't be very good for the job. Nakamichi cassette machines used to be fairly standard items in studios, used to run off quick copies for artists to take home to llisten to. Much like an mp3 is now. Those cassette copies were never considered good enough for a studio to worry about the artist cutting and running without paying his or her bill.

So yes, a reel to reel would be a good idea, ideally half inch or bigger.

And here's a differing opinion on cassettes:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=53&article_id=1840

You'll have to read thru it, but it's a good read.
As in this?

"... People find it hard to believe, but other than the obvious noise-floor considerations, cassettes sounded much better than any of this digital crap. For everyday use, I still use constant quick-reference mixes in the studio — different arrangements, different guitar parts, different singing parts, different mix ideas — so I always have a loaded, ready-to-go mix deck hooked up to my stereo bus. At any moment, I can push the button, record, and sit back and A/B the different parts and ideas. If I didn't have a cassette deck doing that job, I'd be lost. I was so worried about it that I bought a second cassette deck and then I bought boxes and boxes of the Maxell tape that I use since I figure at some point they'll stop making it. I depend on it so heavily. There's nothing else that will quickly reproduce an accurate representation of sound to exacting standards.

Like you said, reel-to-reel was the best, and I always have to put cassette right behind it, the only thing being the noise-floor issue. .."
Wow.
Ok, I get saying 'I like the sound' or a/b something in the context of alt/adverse/real-world conditions or whatever, but what the hell does cassette' have to do with 'accurate representation of sound to exacting standards'?
He also said though he hated the sound of '80's 16bit, but recent 24 bit sounds fine, he seems to skip the notion that just maybe his earlier masters were tilted' intentionally to compensate for the limitations of the time -vinyl and cassette. Given the whole context, what's up with that?

Again, it would depend in part on what cassette deck he is using. The good cassette decks do sound good. I still wouldn't put them above a good modern digital recording though, that's a pretty big statement he made there.

Even if you really wanted to do it, it is not that easy these days to find a good cassette deck (say a Nak Dragon) that is in well maintained operating condition. Getting one serviced professionally will also set you back some $$$.

If I really wanted to do this sort of thing on the cheap, I'd be looking at an old Fostex 1/2 inch two track RR deck like a an E-22 or even the E-2 1/4 inch model. It would probably cost you less and be easier than finding and servicing an old high end cassette deck. It would sound better too.

Even if you really wanted to do it, it is not that easy these days to find a good cassette deck (say a Nak Dragon) that is in well maintained operating condition. Getting one serviced professionally will also set you back some $$$.

If I really wanted to do this sort of thing on the cheap, I'd be looking at an old Fostex 1/2 inch two track RR deck like a an E-22 or even the E-2 1/4 inch model. It would probably cost you less and be easier than finding and servicing an old high end cassette deck. It would sound better too.
When did reel to reel cease to require expensive and extensive maintenance?

But for the record, I have recorded a track or two on cassette prior to going digital. Sure it wasn't the classic "tape compression", but it was an exaggerated compression that can sound good. The noise floor has to be worked with, but everything has its place....maybe just not for the final mix though.

When did reel to reel cease to require expensive and extensive maintenance?

But for the record, I have recorded a track or two on cassette prior to going digital. Sure it wasn't the classic "tape compression", but it was an exaggerated compression that can sound good. The noise floor has to be worked with, but everything has its place....maybe just not for the final mix though.

I'm not saying that it doesn't. Reel to reel certainly requires $$ and maintenance, but my sense of it is that it actually appears easier to arrange than service on a high end cassette deck. At least I know more people still using reel to reel units (and maintaining them) than who are using cassette decks (virtually no one except my daughter who still plays her Harry Potter tapes on my 25 year old Nakamichi).:D My general approach to this is that if you are going to spend the money on gear that will require ongoing maintenance and a scramble for parts, you might as well spend it on a decent reel to reel unit rather than a cassette deck. Last I looked, the cost of a good two track like the Fostex was about the same or less than for a used high end cassette deck. I'd take the Fostex thank you. I did have the opportunity to buy a well maintained E-22 locally a couple years ago. Listened to it. Thought about it. And decided that overall, while it was intriguing, it wasn't worth it to me, so I passed. YMMV.

You could find a dbx Type II unit for the noise. But, for the money, you could find any number of 7.5 ips 1/4 track decks, Teac, Sony, etc. and a dbx Type I won't cost too much to go with it. A decent Teac won't set you back much. You can even buy brand new heads for most of them

OTOH The Tascam cassette portastudios got decent reviews though. They crammed as much as 8 tracks on a cassette. Believe they had built in dbx and also ran at 3 3/4 rather than 1 7/8.

Also Tascam had a few cassette decks, don't know the specs or if they had higher speed.

BTW, all I have is a cassette stereo in my car...

Back