casio keyboard/ printer USB cable / logic pro

thegoof

Hi! My keyboard has a printer USB cable. I plugged it into my Mac but am having trouble getting it to connect/record in logic. Do I need any other equipment?

That should be all you need.

I cannot help you with the Logic Pro.. but your Casio manual should have a section on Connecting External Devices which should describe the connection procedure. Casio probably has a procedure involving a specific order of connection and order of turning on each device and DAW.

Then refer to Logic Pro's manual for setting up the MIDI device routing connection within your DAW (Logic).

How long is the printer cable? Some audio gear manuals suggest 3mtr as a maximum. USB is supposed to work up to 5mtr but I have found that can depend on the quality of the cable, very thin cheap jobs are best avoided.

Dave.

I've used a 6ft USB cable PLUS a 9 ft extension cable (5 meters total, Dave!) and had no issue with a Casio keyboard's signal. Make sure you have the Casio selected as the MIDI input device in Logic.

A question that bears asking (an occasional noob misconception)......... is the OP attempting to record MIDI data or audio via the USB connection? Most keyboards I'm aware of do not send audio via USB, but do send MIDI data and the DAW track will need to be set to MIDI to record the data. The recorded MIDI data can be sent back to the keyboard for playback or it could be played via a software instrument in the computer.

I've used a 6ft USB cable PLUS a 9 ft extension cable (5 meters total, Dave!) and had no issue with a Casio keyboard's signal. Make sure you have the Casio selected as the MIDI input device in Logic.
Yes, often works but my KA6 was fine into a desktop with one 5mtr cable but not stable with another. The supplied cable is 3mtr and NI suggest you go no longer.
For sure, JUST MIDI data will work over much more wire. I have sent it experimentally over 40mtrs of CAT5e but 'USB' MIDI is not 'MIDI' data.

Dave.

Hi! My keyboard has a printer USB cable. I plugged it into my Mac but am having trouble getting it to connect/record in logic. Do I need any other equipment?
You are recording midi data only - you need a some kind of playback device - Logic has dozens. If you are trying to record the audio from your keyboard you have to go out the 1/4" jacks into your audio interface.

Back