Casing For Rigit Fiberglass

wallsstreet

Hello Folks!
Quick question: I have ridgit fiberglass for soundproffing my studio, and I need to cover it with material, How do I do this?

Do I make a frame and put the fiberglass in the frame and then staple the material to the frame? or do I just put the material over the fiberglass??

Thanks!
WallsStreet

Whichever looks best to you; however, be aware that except for improving the sound isolation of a wall when it's used INSIDE the wall, you won't see any noticeable sound PROOFing from this material - it's used as acoustic treatment, which has almost nothing to do with sound proofing. Only with sound QUALITY inside the room... Steve

If you are making individual panels, I'd use the frame approach. You can even get painter's frames (for canvas) at an art supply store that makes it easy, although you could fabricate your own cheaper. Then wrap the fabric around the frame & staple in back, fill in with insulation, glue a paper covering across the back if you like then hang on the wall. You can furr out the corners to provide some relief from the wall, I think that increases absorption a bit, of course that would depend on the backing material too.

Another approach is to sew up what is basically a big pillowcase for the insulation and attach to the wall or ceiling with grommets, chain, anchors, etc. That takes more fabric though.

If you've never sewed anything, well, it's a lot easier than soldering.

it all depends on the thickness and rigidity of your panes as to whether you need a frame or not. If you are going frameless approaches I have seen are wrap and pin, wrap and glue, and wrap and velcro. Framed panels you hang like picutres. Frameless panels I have seen directly glued to the wall, split board*, and impaling clips like these http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/products/hardware/impaling_clips.asp.

*Split board hangind is to take a 1x6 board, rip it lengthwise with a circular saw set at 45 degrees. mount one side to the wall and the other to the panel so the two halves hook each other.

Back