Cascade Ribbon Mics

AndrewC

cascademicrophones.com

Anyone have experience with these mics? I'm considering a ribbon microphone and some of these fall within my budget.

yes, have a single Fat Head Ribbon, a pair of Trion7000 ribbons along with pairs of AEA R92s and R84s.

IMO, either Fat head or Trion7000 are great deals and sound very nice.

Which one would you say is best suited for miking a baritone vocal? Would the DR-2 be worth giving a shot?

For vocals, unless you're intentionally trying to capture a particular vintage vocal style, I'd probably steer you towards the single, long ribbons (e.g. Apex 205, Nady RSM-2) rather than the dual short ribbons.). Just my $0.02.

Okay. I have decided the best mic for me would probably be a good dynamic at this point, specifically the Shure SM7b. I'll forgo the ribbon mic for now.

does anybody have any thoughts for or against using these for classical ensemble recording? I've been looking for a sound different from spaced omni and was wondering if it could be found here, especially since they offer a stereo pair with bar and everything for ca. $350.

Ribbon mics

Ribbon mics are loved my many engineer, here at audiohipster we have a few different type's the Fat head Short ribbon has yet to make it on any recording, but a nice even sound. the Oktava is very sensitive and sound great on female voice and clean guitar a great mic, the Cad duel element rocks on guitar but would not use it on voice, and the Superlux R102 is a Gem, Fat natural and it sounds great on many things, probably the most used ribbon. Doyen

Back