Cascade Gomez - Michael Joly Edition Ribbon Mic

$599?? No thanks, I'll stick with modded fatheads

Modded Fatheads are cool for sure-- the transformer upgrade is certainly a good thing. The additional upgrades address everything else that has an impact on the recorded sound and I figure that Joly-modded ribbons and the Gomez are a significant step better. Cascade Microphones-- the makers of the Fatheads, who also sell new Fatheads already modded obviously think so.

$599?? No thanks, I'll stick with modded fatheads

No doubt about it - the Fat Head is a great mic available at a great price, Cascade will be pleased to hear your opinion of it.

But our intention with Gomez is to push both the performance and aesthetic envelope. To focus on aesthetics for a moment...

...it seems my microphone modification and design work resonates with several different types of users - 1.) entry level folks (new home recordists?) looking for their first high-quality LDC or ribbon mic; 2.) established, but-budget-conscious recordists who make their living recording musicians and need great, but affordable tools, and 3.) those folks whom I like to think of as "collectors". Folks in this last group not only look for great sound at a great price, but they're also looking...prowling...hunting...buying and trading mics in order to collect pieces that meet their aesthetic / emotional needs as well as their sonic ideals. This class of microphone buyer is like the person who is a fine wine, single malt scotch, or micro beer aficionado.

Cascade and I hope the limited production run Gomez mic is going to satisfy these later two groups - the microphone collector, as well as the budget-conscious professional. Not only do we believe the Gomez sounds great, but we believe it is going it is going to hold and increase its value as a collectible sound object.

Last edited:
No doubt about it - the Fat Head is a great mic available at a great price, Cascade will be pleased to hear your opinion of it.

But our intention with Gomez is to push both the performance and aesthetic envelope. To focus on aesthetics for a moment...

...it seems my microphone modification and design work resonates with several different types of users - 1.) entry level folks (new home recordists?) looking for their first high-quality LDC or ribbon mic; 2.) established, but-budget-conscious recordists who make their living recording musicians and need great, but affordable tools, and 3.) those folks whom I like to think of as "collectors". Folks in this last group not only look for great sound at a great price, but they're also looking...prowling...hunting...buying and trading mics in order to collect pieces that meet their aesthetic / emotional needs as well as their sonic ideals. This class of microphone buyer is like the person who is a fine wine, single malt scotch, or micro beer aficionado.

Cascade and I hope the limited production run Gomez mic is going to satisfy these later two groups - the microphone collector, as well as the budget-conscious professional. Not only do we believe the Gomez sounds great, but we believe it is going it is going to hold and increase its value as a collectible sound object.

Hmmm. I feel like I have a target on my back:D

Yes very true. Incidentally, the Fisher Price Little People are generally plastic (or wood as with the attached specimen) and recommended for ages 4+ (I made that up) :D

yeah i was taken aback by the wood body on your pic. all of mine from my childhood are plastic. i loved those plastic people. i took a marker once and drew angry eyebrows on the one that would always be the bad guy when i'd play with them... that was clever of me.

yeah i was taken aback by the wood body on your pic. all of mine from my childhood are plastic. i loved those plastic people. i took a marker once and drew angry eyebrows on the one that would always be the bad guy when i'd play with them... that was clever of me.

by any chance did you install a lundahl transformer into its arse? if so that would be a crazy coincidence :D

My peebles were used for target practice by my evil Micronauts
http://www.micro-outpost.com/
As I got older and more inventive I would augment the Micronaut's rubber warheads with firecrackers and bottle rockets. The peebles never knew what hit them. It was a wholesale robotic slaughterhouse :D

After the battle the perverted Microtron would use his drill and have his way with the prisoners. :eek:

Back