Carvin SRS6.5's?

jrlemonz

I am looking into getting a pair of near fields. I have these monitor thigns that sound really good, and seem to be pretty acuarte, but they have 12" woofers, 6" mids, and exponential horns. I am compromising mucho desk space. I'm looking for a pair of small-sized monitors (passive) that will fit on my desk nicer, and be portable. I am on a REALLY tight budget. The only one's that seem plausible are the Yorkville YSM-1's (i know those are touted highly on thisboard, but I can't find them anywhere) or the Carvin SRS 6.5's. Anyone heard the SRS's? Their frequency response seems pretty respectable (pretty flat until 65 hz, where it starts to drop off) Their contour switch thing sounds pretty cool, right now I have 2 sets of speakers set up, so I can see what it would sound like on a mediocre home system (2 12"s Fishers through a JVC, with an ancient Subwoofer column). It would be nice to be able to move that out into my living room. Any one know these speakers?

Jake

Yo Jake the Snake:]

Hey, man: Go to the web and Yorkville. They will give you the nearest dealer for the Yorkville YSM-1 monitors.

I have a pair -- they are GREAT. For the money, mine were 108.75 each, you will find them hard to beat.

True! You can spend a hellava lot more; however, I dig the YSM's and I don't even turn on my other Infinity speakers anymore. [They look good in my studio though!]

So, you can get Yorkville on the net. [Yorkville.com]{I think}

Or you can call them in Niagra Falls, N.Y. and they will look up your closest dealer. I was lucky. My closest dealer was in Grand Rapids, Mi and I live in Grand Rapids, Mi.

Go for the YSM-1 monitors. You will dig them.

Green Hornet

Screw it all and get Event 20/20's. These are monitors you are NOT going to regret getting three or four years from now. About $350 or less a pair. You need a beefy power amp, but monitors is one area you should never skimp in, and you are not skimping with the 20/20's and a good power amp, like a Hafler P3000....:)

Ed

Hi Jake,
I have a pair of carvin srs6.5's and I can honestly say they are good monitors. The only criticism I have is that the "contour" switch is useless... but other than that they are wicked for the money! Very flat and accurate for mixing, treble doesn't sound weak or brittle. For mixing i use them in conjunction with a small sub because they really can't do much below 80Hz. To me they are unbeatable in their price-range, or a couple ranges up...

I used a pair of SR6.5s for a stretch. If you want any bass you'll need a sub. I bought a pair of BSX8s to replace them and that was a real step up, but of course they were more expensive than the Carvins. I currently use the 6.5s for house playback in my studio and they work fine (again, with a sub).

Back