Carvin Preamp/Mixer recommendation?

I haven't used their mixers, but I am extremely happy with their power amps. I will definately purchase another for live sound use. I hear great things also about their little acoustic/bass/vocal amp the have. I think it is the ag1000 or something like that. Not real impressed with any cabling items.

Pete

I have that amp and it's been great for smaller groups, light weight, decent power. Made me a lot of money. The dsp effects aren't all that reliable but it gets used for poolside gigs here in the desert where it's often 115 in the shade and it's often not in the shade. They are a good company and will stand behind their product. They have to, there's no middle man to hide behind.

At this price point, the big question will be the quality of the mic preamps. The deal with the Mackie VLZ is that the preamps have been enhanced - they're "one step up." The mixers are pretty quiet and reliable stage mixers.

How critical is the sound here? Do you want to record with the mixer, or use it only as a stage mixer? You have quite a bit more leeway with a stage mixer because of the environment in which it will be used; the expectations are not as high as in a studio situation. My guess is, for a hundred bucks, go with the Mackie unless you really need the extra XLR connections.

Back