Carvin Mixer for Live Use

DigitalDon

Has anyone used Carvin mixers for live shows? I'm looking at the Concert Series C2444, 24 channel, 4 bus mixer. Maybe even the 32 channel board. Seems like a real bargain at $799 and $999. I'm not concerned about the 9 band EQ and onboard FX since I'll use outboard gear for that. I've repaired Carvin amps before and consider them to be a quality, well made product.

Here's the link if anyone would like to look it over. Opinions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

DD

A few years ago I was running some live PA on the side when I was running a medium sized recording studio. This one band had bought a huge Carvin board, it was 32 or maybe even 48 channels, it was really alot bigger than they needed. Anyways, I ran it on a few shows for them. It was pretty much the worst board I have used in my life. There was no headroom on the channel pres, the eq was unusable, and the summing amps in the mix bus were really muddy. Its one of the reasons I dump on Carvin like I do today. I have no idea the model # on it, Ive worked with too much stuff in the past few years to remember even half of it.

I convinced the guy to try out a Mackie 24*08 and he dumped the Carvin in about 2 minutes.

H2H

I was in band in europe in the ealry 90's and we got sponsored by miller lite so we went out and bought a carvin package that was 24 channel mixer/amps/speakers. I was really impressed with the package. It was rock solid and even survived a couple of beer spills. we just tipped it upside down and drained it out. As I recall we even made some live to two track out of one of the fx sends that sounded pretty damn clear.

We stepped up to Allen & Heath but I kinda wish I kept the carvin. Not as many bells as whistles but I liked it alot.

I have never used a mixer, but carvin in general seems to be rock solid, quality gear. I have some guitar amps, live amps, guitar cabs, and pa speakers, all of which I love.

Back