Carvin guitars

King Elvis

Any of you cats own a Carvin?? A friend that plays bass with me from time to time ordered himself a Carvin fretless and he just loves it. Got my attention and made me start to look into Carvin. Their axes are pretty resonable and I have never really read too much about them, nothing bad anyway. What is your take on them??

I've used a couple of Carvins. Don't know model numbers. One of them had 2 humbuckers, neck through body and lots of little switches for pickup config. It sounded awesome. Great sustain. The other was an electric with a piezo in it. Great guitar as well.

I've only tried one Carvin amp. A tube combo. Sounded ok.

King Elvis said:
Any of you cats own a Carvin?? A friend that plays bass with me from time to time ordered himself a Carvin fretless and he just loves it. Got my attention and made me start to look into Carvin. Their axes are pretty resonable and I have never really read too much about them, nothing bad anyway. What is your take on them??

I've had a Carvin LB70 for nearly 10 years now. It's still my main axe, and it most likely will be for a long time. I still have yet to find anything that works as well for me as my Carvin. I have medium-small hands, and the neck on this just fits me perfectly. The only techincal problem I've had with it in 10 years is that I had to spray some tuner cleaner in the volume pot since it was getting dirty.

I have been wanting to by the DC400 for a long time now. The only way I could afford it would be to sell my Gibson ES335 and I dont ever see that happening.

you won't ever hear a bad thing about carvin gear because it is all top rate stuff. Even the one or two people who have ever voiced even a hint of disappointment with carvin equiptment, have had to admit that carvin has customer service second to none. They will take back, replace or repair any complaint issue you present to them.

I've sat for hours in the carvin showroom going from guitar to guitar, amp to amp. I dont care much for the thinline electric acoustics, but thats a preferance. I can't deny that they sound like a million bucks plugged in. And the Cobalt acoustics blow my mind.

I've played an older neck through body Carvin Tele a few times... It was sweet!

Over the years I've never been able to really get a fix on exactally what it is they specialize in and that kind of weired me out, but at the same time I've never given much thought to a company like Yamaha. (Go figure)

I'm thinking of getting a pair of their powered monitors for like $250.00
(Hey make sure you all sign up for their weekly Carvin cash giveaway if you're interested.)

:)

Our bass player owns a ton of carvin gear: 2 basses, 2 amps, and a pa. The basses are great, but the electronics suck. The pres in the pa are pretty low quality & pick up a ton of RFI. His bass amp basically blew up (both amps & all speakers) for no reason whatsoever. The amp was not even 2 years old. Carvin said there was nothing they could do for him. It cost him quite a bit of money to repair.

David Amador, guitarist for Floater plays a Carvin, nearly exclusively (except for a Strat for slidework and stuff), and he gets some of the most AMAZING tones out of it... and it's gorgeous to boot! I definitely want one someday...

i love my carvin

bought it in 1981.

still rocks hard.......

lg-257400.jpg

i've switched the pickups in and out of it through the years....
finally settled on the original neck pickup, and a duncan custom in the bridge position.

i took out the tone controls......
and disconnected all the bells and whistles.....
it's just a straight pickup-volume setup now......

I have a pearl white DC135 that I've had for several years and have loved it. My Charvell has their M22SD humbucker in the bridge and it is a beast. I now have a bolt-on kit on order. I am anxious to see how it is going to sound.

I bought a Carvin guitar head and 2X12 years ago, I don't remember being disappointed, but it was pretty much my first amp purchase. They were both stolen when my house was broken into, along with my 4-track, Fender strat, mics, highly sentimentally valued childrens VHS tapes, and my boot knife (other odds n ends I dont remember now also)

I currently have a Carvin floor monitor which works just fine, for a monitor. I don't think you can beat their cabs/monitors for the price, though I know nothing of their near field monitors and have heard nothing positive nor negative.

I hadn't noticed that they were now making 7-stringers as well.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a 7-stringer for some time. Anyone have any experience with them, and how smooth(or rough) is the transition from 6 to 7 strings?

I'm not sure I would state it that way, but yea, something like "grinding puke metal".

Do you use a Carvin 7 for "grinding puke metal", or another brand?

cellardweller said:
I hadn't noticed that they were now making 7-stringers as well.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a 7-stringer for some time. Anyone have any experience with them, and how smooth(or rough) is the transition from 6 to 7 strings?

Naturally going from 6 strings to 7 will require a wider neck. I think that would be the biggest thing to get used to, so depending on how wide of neck you play now will factor in how comfortable it will to migrate to the seven string. It is kinda like switching from playing a guitar to bass and then back again... feels kinda funny at times. As far as playing, bar chords are not that big of deal, playing them open my take a little time.

Even said:
you won't ever hear a bad thing about carvin gear because it is all top rate stuff. Even the one or two people who have ever voiced even a hint of disappointment with carvin equiptment, have had to admit that carvin has customer service second to none. They will take back, replace or repair any complaint issue you present to them.

I don't know about the top rate stuff comment. All their mics, pa's, and stuff like that from my experience are pure garbage.

But they do have the best customer service I've ever seen. Nice folks.

fenix said:
I don't know about the top rate stuff comment. All their mics, pa's, and stuff like that from my experience are pure garbage.

But they do have the best customer service I've ever seen. Nice folks.

I know quite a few people that use their PA and amps, and they have no problems with them at all.

i think their guitars are the best buy for the money...

i spent months a/b'ing pauls and strats, and looking at everything from Zion to Tom Anderson as well.....

the carvin was simply better made, high quality components, and sounded the best.

it's all objective, everybody likes something else, but as far as quality goes, their guitars are at the top of the food chain.

I recently built an axe and most of the parts came from Carvin. While I can't attest to their construction quality, the parts that they use are of very high quality, and decent price.

And yes, they do have the best customer service I've ever dealt with.

Back