*carvin Custom Guitars*

5150 Musician

I like Carvin gutiars alot. Honestly, I think theyre the best. They started out as just making guitar pickups, but now look where they are. Aside from guitars, their equipment is well built. Any equipment that Carvin has made that I delt with is very durable, heavy duty, and reliable.
Their guitars just amaze me. The action on them is something that I've never felt from any other guitar. Besides the fact that you can customize your own guitar with your choice of electronics, style, woods, colors, etc., the price tag on them is that of a cheaper retail guitar. Prices of these guitars range from 500 - 1400 dollars. They make custom neck-through guitars that start at just under 700 dollars. To me, the quality is phenominal and I don't see the reason in spending a retail of $5000 on a mass manufactured guitar. Why not pay a fraction and get a unique one made just for you from the best qualities? I've talked to some people about Carvin guitars, and they are ignorant towards it because they own very expensive multi-thousand dollar retail guitars. However, of course they're going to defend the quality of their guitar if they make the choice to spend thousands of dollars on it retail. In my opinion, you get the best quality/price ratio in the music industry when you buy from a good company directly from the manufacturer itself. I would never think of it as a "bang for your buck" thing, it's more of a "pay alot less for better" kind of thing.
Carvin Custom Guitars

I'm just curious as to what people think about Carvin.

I've never owned one but they look like they would be a great value.

Next time I'm down in So Cal I'm gonna stop in and play a Cobalt.

Last year I played a BB-70 bass for a couple of months and I was very impressed on everything about it:great feel,sound and finish.Sadly,I had to return it to the owner who changed it for a Fender JazzBass MIM :mad: .
Lately,my guitarist just ordered a "Fat Lady" after chasing it for a looong time.He played once such a guitar at a jig (a friend kindly borrowed his guitar to my bandmate) and after that jig,we picked up our jaws from the floor and begun dreaming...
The problem was that where we live (Croatia) there are no Carvin dealers (the closest one from Italy charges 4 times the US prices!) but we eventually managed it somehow,by the means of a good friend who has US residency. :)
I don't intend to begin a stupid theme like "Americans sweat for European stuff and viceversa" ; both worlds have very good instruments but,I'd say,Carvin guitars is a story of it's own.
Bottom line:go grab one!
Regards,

I have to agree with you about their quality and price.
My twin brother bought one of their 5 string Basses (neck through / active electronics) Man it is a wonder Bass. I have played it and recorded it side by side with Fenders and even a Musicman Bass with similar setup and prefered the Carvin over it.

Yep! My hats off to Carvin!

Tom

Funny, I was just checking out their site a few days ago. I had heard of them from a friend I met overseas who had graduated from the University of Winnipeg with a Jazz Guitar degree. He had played many of them and told me that they were extremely customizable.

Well, holy shiz, he was right. SO ridiculously custom. I can't believe it.

Now, I've heard great things about theri custom electrics, but has anyone tried their custom acoustics? I haven't heard a single thing about them. Anyone?

The Cobalt acoustics are not custom.

The AC series is, and you can get different top and neck woods, etc.

The options are dizzying. I think I figured there were over 200 different neck combinations. Plus, there are a lot of options not listed in the catalog and website. There is an excellent discussion board with helpful people.

BTW, I have a DC135 which can be heard clicking the link in my sig.

Bought a tele style guitar from Carvin and it was the nicest most perfectly built instrument I have ever laid hands on. Only problem was it was too perfect. For my tastes anyway. I like gritty, biting, snarling tone and this guitar was just too clean sounding. It was like marrying a supermodel and finding out she didn't believe in sex before or after marriage. I sent it back with a tears in my eyes....

I did buy one of their necks for a parts guitar (another tele) many moons ago and it really spoiled me on anything else. Very Flat, metal shredder thin which is nice if you have smaller hands, the ebony fretboard plain kicks butt. Just bend till the cows come home. Love it.

I am thiiiiis close to buying another one for my Nashville Tele.

If you like thinner necks I highly recommend them.

Newbie-Doo said:
I did buy one of their necks for a parts guitar (another tele)...

Hey ND did you have to mod the neck? This came up before and apparently a Strat neck doesn't exactly fit a Tele.

No mode required.

I believe the body is a warmoth. Its all mahogany (unusual for a tele) and dang it sounds good with that carvin neck! Maple, Mahogany, and Ebony, The perfect combination...

Carvin really does have a tremendous bang for your buck ratio.

I have a '90 or '91 Carvin DC200, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. You simply can't beat a Carvin neck, and the tones from this thing -- wow. You just have to play one to believe it.

I've been playing guitar on and off for the last 16 years of my life, and I've had many of the guitars that people drool over (Les Paul, Strat, etc). I don't have any of those guitars anymore, but the old Carvin I bought so many years ago is still hanging on my wall.

And if I were to get a hankering for a new guitar? Carvin CT6 all the way!
http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=CT6M

Back around 1982, I bought a Carvin XV112 amp and more than 20 years later, that amp is still going strong. In the late 80's, I got my first Carvin guitar - an SH225 (like a Gibson 335). Now I have an MTS3212, one of the Red Line series bass amps, a DC135 guitar, an LB75PF frettless bass and one of their 1644 powered mixers along with some great speakers. My old Fender Jazz bass has seen better days so I'm replacing it with an LB70; expecting delivery any day now. The quality is outstanding in all the gear I have from them.

Dave_M said:
...SH225...

The first time I looked for one o eBay there were two or three. I had the impression that they were readily available. Boy, was I wrong!

What color's yours?

ive been playing carvins for a while now. several years back got a picked up a used '85 V220 for a great price, and the value has gone way up, plus it has been a great guitar to play.

just received my first custom CT6 carved top carvin in august and i love it. their prices for a custom made in the USA quality guitar cant be beat.

I love carvin. I am really close to ordering my fully custom kit for $900, would cost me like $1200 to have them build it, and like $2k for anyone else to build it. Not only do they have great products, but awesome customer service. I have talked to many people who brought their CT6M Carved Top into a store and blown the socks off all the PRSs in the store, all for a lot less.

i've played a few carvins and they are very well made guitars that play quite nice. i just cant stand the look of them... but then again i play 3 parker flys so taste is obviously subjective. heh

Back