Carriage House Recording

Thanks a bunch John!

You sure do work fast!

Its funny, you know I was just looking over the pics on your site, and I ran across the one of the wastewater trench.
When the guys were digging the trench (its about 140 feet long) they got up close to the existing connection, and I said "Hey, be careful around here, I think theres a water line close by".
They reply: "Oh, don't worry, we wont hit nothing."

Famous final words right?
About a half hour later, there's a ring at the door, and I look outside, and see this 20 foot gyser in the front yard!

They found the water line. :rolleyes:

Guess, I should have taken a picture of that, but, well, I was more anxious to get it shut off than to search around for the digital camera.;)

The joys of construction.

Last edited:
Wow Michael. It's really shaping up now. I bet your construction guys were wondering why this crazy guy doesn't want straight walls :D Kinda goes against everything they've always done.

I (me and my wife that is) finished painting last weekend. The control room is rich blue, live room is deep garnet and vocal booth is kind of suede. My arms and back are so sore I don't think I can lift the camera to take pics but I owe it to all you guys who helped to do it.

Still struggling with getting the ventilation ducts in. I hope I can one day record again :D

DD

MJ,

Looking great mate.

One thing that occured to me while looking at the pics................the upper wall area above your entrance doors would be the ideal place to fit some double glazed windows to allow light into the main room. Disregarding budget constraints it should be relatively easy to fit them. Just construct them in a similar manner to control room windows to minimise sound transfer.

:cool:

i had a similar question, where are the outside facing windows? Sometimes people actually play better and feel relaxed when they don't feel like they are in prison :eek: . atleast i do.

Don - Thanks, yeah, its comming along. I'm at the point now where as long as something - anything happens everyday, I'm happy. Oh, and BTW, I did all the framing myself. ;)

ausrock - I thought about doing a half moon, or half round window above the door. It would be in keeping with the architecture of the main house, but I just think it would blow the STC rating.

kristian - I agree, ambient, natural light is a huge plus. Outside of my own projects, I'm targeting the studio for unsigned bands and demo's. Most working musicians I know have the proverbal "day job" and work until around 7:00 or 9:00pm. I expect the busiest times to be from 8:00 to midnight or later. Not much daylight during those hours.

The control room doors lead to the patio outside, and those are a double set of double glazed sliding doors. So natural light will flood the control room, and drum room, with some filtering into the live room via the control room windows, so it wont completely feel like a cave.

Outside of the home project studio, I haven't seen too many studios with windows, and those that do have them look for ways to block them up.
I purposely left exterior windows out because I didn't want to sacrifice STC ratings, particularly in the live room.

Bruce - The ceilings will be a big plus, and aid in the draw to the studio; I hope. They're higher than I imagined. It feels like a cathedral in there. :)

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted with updates as construction progresses.

MJ,

A half round would be nice, but I would think costly as opposed to square or rectangular frames.

Re the STC...........I would think that so long as the windows were constructed with inner and outer frames without any direct contact between them, and you used at least 10mm glass on the inner and possibly even double glaze the outer, you will have similar isolation as your control room window. Just remember, the more mass (thicker glass) the less likely it will be to transmit vibration.

:cool:

Back