Carpeted room and bass traps

meowadishi

Hello,

I am curious as to how much a carpeted room would affect the number of bass traps I would need to make. If any. Also. Would I be able to go with 2" thick material or should I still shoot for 4" roxul.

Thanks.

At least 4" - And the carpeting won't do a thing (except take out some of the high end, making the low end issues more apparent).

Hello,

I am curious as to how much a carpeted room would affect the number of bass traps I would need to make. If any. Also. Would I be able to go with 2" thick material or should I still shoot for 4" roxul.

Thanks.

Again, nothing. Carpet will do absolutely nothing to do with what bass traps are controlling.

What is the size of the room? Actually, it really doesn't matter. I don't think it is possible to have too many bass traps in the corners of any room. The question should be "how much room do I have in the space that limits how many I can place?" Compromise is something we all have to deal with in small rooms. Hell, even large rooms. The benefit of 4" thick traps is way better than skimping on 2". 6" even better, but from what my research has gathered, 4" 2x8' straddling a corner, gives best bang for the buck. Especially when the gap is filled with the fluffy stuff. 2" panels can be used at first reflection points, but that is a different subject than bass traps. Though, thicker wall panels there can be useful in helping with square waves in rectangular rooms, if the room is large enough to take up the space with 4"+ gaps between the panels and walls.

There is much research that you should do on this topic. There is tons to learn regarding the material, as well as the application and build of particular products. Google is your friend here, as well as the numerous threads her on the topic. Research before decision is what I would recommend.

Some of us amateurs/pro's can give basic advice, if you describe your room, as well as your intentions for it. Recording? Mixing? Isolation? In the end, trial and error, based on info, with actual testing of the room without/with treatments, are the only way to really find the correct answer. And of course, it is not cheap to find the ideal. Basic measures and education, are the first step. Spend your money wisely here. At least you didn't ask how much Auralex or egg crates to put on your control room wall, so you have already done some research. Props to that meow! :D

Thanks guys. I figured it would not effect much. Of course I was trying to skimp a lil. :)

First reflection points are to your left and right at the listening position? IIRC :/

When I was there today I measured the room to be 9' 10" wide, 13' 8" deep with 8' walls.

Thanks again.

First reflection points are any surface that you can see your monitor speakers (with a mirror) from your listening position. Ceiling included. This could also be a reflective point from your desk. Nobody puts a panel there, though, a flat glass desk would probably not be ideal. :)

Yep, with that small of a room, you need to trap as much as you can. 4 vertical corners first (if possible). You probably have a door in the way somewhere. Every corner of an adjoining wall, is a place that a corner (bass) trap can be placed. Wall/ceiling. Floor/wall. Wall/wall. Three sided corners can be a great additional option as well.

You still should work on asking/answering the questions though. The fact that you mentioned first reflection points, tells me you are looking to treat your control room. But that is just me guessing.

Skimp is not really the word you should use. Your budget allows for whatever it does. Make best of what you can, but don't waste money on something that wont work later.

Do front (behind monitors) corner bass traps first. Make them 4" thick at least. You can use them later elsewhere. Use blankets or something on the first reflection points, until you can afford to build more panels. Do not make a bunch of 2" thick panels that will be useless later, unless you have plans for a large room later. I would use 4" thick panels for your ceiling 'cloud' first reflection point, as 8' leaves you enough room from a seated position, even with a 4" gap, that will help control a bit of the square waves you will be getting in your room. I would also recommend 4" thick panels at your side reflection points. Even if you do not create an air gap between them, and the wall, they will work well for other spots later.

Remember, only testing will tell you what actually works for your room. Do the basics first, then test.

Oh yeah, REW is the program you will test with. You can do it with any mic, but there are recommended ones for the purpose of testing. A Behri is used often. Don't remember the model off hand, but it was like $50 or something.

Depending on how serious you are about your goals, and your budget, you should really treat the room before you do anything. That is just my biased response, based on how much time/money I have realized I wasted by not treating my room. Not even comparable, how easy mixes translate in my treated room, as compared to the UN.

Just here to help others not waste time and money like I did.

I have heard thread after thread of BS about what works from idiots, as well as technical info from pro's. It is tough to weed through the crap advice, and find what actually works, especially when a budget is involved. Well, I have killed most of the weeds, and came to my own conclusion of what really works. I initially thought that using good monitors was the way to start. I now know, with 100% confidence, that room treatment is the best investment anyone can make ever, if you are seriously looking for quality. For both recording and mixing, the room is going to be the first, and most important factor in creating a quality recording of a performance. I have realized that it is quite impossible to even learn what a decent pair of monitors is telling you, if the room is screwing it all up. And it really does not take that much expense to make huge beneficial changes to the room. Much cheaper than expensive monitors.

That being said, good monitors are the next best investment. I have a few pairs, and am going to invest a few grand on a truly worthy pair. Now, with room treatment, I can trust in what I am hearing from whatever monitors I am listening to. I use a few, and even make final decisions on some $60 computer speakers. Having an environment that allows you to trust in what you are hearing, should be the most important first step to address IMO. I am confident now, without having to listen so much in other environments. I still do, but do not have to second guess as much now.

Back