Carpet underlay? how would it go in the control room?

Spider

hi all , i was wondering how carpet underlay would go hanginging on the rear wall of my control room ?? the monitors will be facing roughly in that direction so i was wondering what frequencys the underlay would affect?? also how would this go in a vocal booth?? its just i can get a few rolls real cheap so thought it may come in handy.. well cheers all...

I don't know how to tell you, but you really don't want to use carpet in your studio on the walls like that. You ask what frequencies they'll absorb? All the wrong ones. They'll soak up the high frequencies but will do just about nothing for bass frequencies, leaving your room sounding very bassy. This will make you turn down the bass in your mix, and then your mixdown, when played outside your control room, will sound very low-end empty.

How to put it in your vocal room? I wouldn't use carpet at all in a room that you're going to be doing so much micing. In a room where you're trying to translate the sounds SO accurately, carpet will give your room a very bassy sound. But if you really want to use it at all, use it on the floor, and NOT the walls. The small, tight size of the vocal room will already give it a very bassy room mode, don't make it worse by putting carpet in it.

You say you can get carpet for cheap... well I bet you could obtain some decent studio foam, that is manufactured to absorb the correct frequencies, for the same price as the carpet.

In my studio the only place we're going to be using carpet is the drum stage, and we're going to be using heavy industrial carpet, and the only reason we're using carpet is because if you don't drums like to scoot across the floor. Not to mention they'd ruin hard wood flooring.

Later,
-Brian

I feel I must make some comment here with regard to carpet. Firstly Brian is quite correct in saying don't put it on the wall as it only absorbs high frequencies. If you do you must put multiple layers. If you are using it on the floor you must use double underlay - It's nice to walk on too.

In the two booths I'm building I will be putting down carpet but I have low and low-mid absorption as well to compensate using hangers in a trap ceiling and timber slot resonators on one wall and 3" Insulation on the other wall. The other walls are glass doors.

On the other hand the large "piano room" as we call it, will have a hardwood timber floor 18mm thick on 20mm battens will insulation in the cavity. This room is larger and liver - The timber floor is for the grand piano Amirel wants to get - I want to put drums in there so I'll probably get a sheet of industrial rubber about 1/2" thick and lay it on the timber floor under the drums.

Cheers
John :D

well cheers for that ... ill steer clear of it then ... i hear u both mention it absorbs the bass frequencys, cos i have a room i use just for drums yet it is rather tinny , in fact it has a tin roof so im sure this helps that factor. It still has a ceiling though anda small cavity between the ceiling and the tin roof.. Shoul i try a little in this room?? I have some cheap foam on the walls in there at the moment , would this be killing all the bass frequencies? well cheers anyway for that guys....
spider

would cheap foam kill the bass? Most likely not. Unless this cheap foam happens to be about 12 inches thick, and lots of absorbing surfaces.

You just have to keep the theory in mind that you're trying to take the room out of the sound. If you start with that theory, you can taylor the room to a specific sound, live or more dead. And just keep in mind that bass collects in corners and small spaces where they can bounce around, and slap echo and reverb like to hang around on parallel walls. So if you put bass trapping in the 90 degree corners and decent wegde-type foam on parallel walls you'll be on the right track.

Later,
-Brian

im getting the picture , maybe ill save some $$$ and make some serious acoustic decisions ... well cheers for your help brian ...
spider

Back