Carpet or Wood for Cab Micing?

I don't think there is a correct answer. It just depends on what you want your mic to pick up.

I always mic my Vox AC30 with the amp and mic stand sitting on a hardwood floor in an open room. My recording volume is not high enough to get things bouncing around, and this helps liven up the sound compared to having carpet underneath.

If you're going to be using an iso box, though, you'd probably want as much vibration damping as you can get.

You should try it both ways and go with whichever approach gives you the recorded sound you want.

Either way you go, I'd recommend getting your amp up off of the floor while recording. They make amp stands that work great for this, but I just use a little plastic crate and it does the trick well.

Getting your amp off the floor cuts down on early reflections that can add some mud into your mixdowns if you have a lot of guitars in there. It really adds up from track to track.

Metal is going to cause some pretty serious reflections. If the room has desirable dimensions (i.e. not a square or a cube) then wood can be a nice, lively material.

But for most of us amateur home recordists, our rooms are shaped so that they tend to cause undesirable standing waves, flutters, echoes, and not-so-good reverb. So the more damping, the better. So I'd suggest carpet.

Why is everyone afraid to try things out YOURSELF???

Why wait around for everyone else's opinion (like they really matter for YOUR music)
when you can try it out YOURSELF in about the time it takes to eat a 'burger.

EXPERIMENT.... you might learn sumthin....

Why is everyone afraid to try things out YOURSELF???

Why wait around for everyone else's opinion (like they really matter for YOUR music)
when you can try it out YOURSELF in about the time it takes to eat a 'burger.

EXPERIMENT.... you might learn sumthin....

I totally agree.

Back