"Carpe Diem" need comments Please

zero00

Hi to all, i have a new song called "Carpe Diem", like always i would like to hear your thoughts.

Guitar Rhythmic: Panned L/R 80
Guitar Lead: Panned L/R 50
Lead vocals: center
Backing Vocals: Panned L/R 85

I love the guitar sound, was made with a Fender Stratocaster and a tube custom amp through the SM 57 and a M-Audio Firewire 410, no compression, only a little Eq. On the guitar solo i used delay, reverb and compression to give a little sustain.

Hope you like it... any thoughts on the mix?

Link

Last edited:
Nice tune. As you said, the guitar tone is sweet. Fender guitars never dissapoint. Well, on the mix:

01. Vocals
There's something weird underneath the lead vocals... some hissing noise (maybe due to the shitty mySpace compression). Just to be sure, you should run a de-esser to get rid of the sibilance. BG Vocals are ok.

02. Drums
Raise the snare volume a bit, this song needs more attack and drive, especially when the vocals kick in and the mix starts to get busy. Cymbals are kinda washed down.

03. Bass
Good, nice tne, I can distinguish the runs clearly.

Overall volume it's kinda low, so I assume this is only a mix and you haven't masterized the track.

Hi, thanks for the comments, I did what you said, it was masterized before but now the volume is a little upper... the snare is just a hair louder than before.

I also re-tracked the verse vocals, change a little bit the vocal melody, i like it more right now...

Any other thoughts? please?

Okay, really need to lower the rhythm guit quite a bit. The mix is all vocals and guitar.

I suggest you start your mix with just Kick, Bass and vocals. Then add the rest of the drums, then all other supporting tracks. Beat maker and melody maker should be prevalent, all others are supporting and should be at lower levels.

have Fun!!

Hi to all... thanks for the comments...

Chili: well, i like the guitar sound so much that i put them a little louder, thanks for the mix tip, i'll try that way next time, never thought about that... i always start with the kick, bass, then drums, guitars y finally vocals... maybe that's my problem...

mattdee1: Hi... thanks!!! mmm, about the distortion, i can't hear it... maybe if you tell me the exact place, or the time where is louder i can check it... i heard the song with crap studio monitors and headphones and i couldn't notice that distortion.

Thanks a lot...

Back