"Carpe Diem" i need feedback please

zero00

Hello, long time since my last post... well this is a remix from a song i posted here some time ago. I added the real vocals this time. This is a rock song, pretty strong vocals, guitars and the lyrics are all "I just wanna live the moment". Of course, the song is call "Carpe Diem".

As always i need some feed back from you guys, mix, song, anything. Good or bad, please don't hold back. I want to make an EP by my own, so i need to improve.

link: Lightning Mp3 320 kb

Regards :drunk:

Good mix. I only have one nit that stood out to me. The crash in the left sounds completely different than the one in the right channel. The one in the left has no tail and is louder. The one in the right sounds more natural. A bit of a distraction to me. The mix as a whole sounds really good. The vocals are strong and out front. The guitars sound great. Nice work

Thanks man, i check what you said and here is a new mix, i left the other so you may compare both mixes. Ok, left cymbal a little down and with more sustain, please let me know what you think.

Carpe Diem V2

The first thing I noticed is that I was overwhelmed by the rhythm guitar in both channels. It seemed to completely dominate the mix, burying both the drums and the bass. I'd bring it down a bit. The guitar tone sounded really good, though -- very clear. The playing of the eight note downstroke riffs did not sound tight with the snare drum for some reason -- the guitar seemed a little early on beats 2 and 4 maybe? The groove of the song seemed a bit off in these parts.

The vocals were terrific -- sounded balanced and lively and a good performance -- I wouldn't change anything there.

I could hear percussiveness out of the bass track, but not much tone, possibly due to being overwhelmed by the rhythm guitars. And the guitar solo seemed to need something to separate it from the rest of the tracks. I don't know what this is -- a bit more high-mid, maybe? I'm not an expert there by any means, but the tone just didn't sound different enough from everything else to make it stand out. Maybe that's what you're going for -- I suppose it depends on whether you wanted it to be a solo or ornamental and accompanying.

The very end seemed abrupt. I didn't get the sense that there was a lock between all the instruments on the two hits, or any buildup to it to really signify that it was the end. What I heard was the guitar play the two C# chords and then there was some cymbal decay and I was kind of surprised that it was over. The end just didn't have an overall tonal difference or intensity difference to distinguish it from the rest of the song.

But good tune. Nice work.

I liked the vocals - both the performance and the sound quality.

The guitars are a little heavy in the high mids. Just a little too edgy.

Bass is sitting just about right I think. Maybe nudge it up just a wee bit.

edit...

There are a couple of minor clams on the guitar riff in the intro. A missed note or two. Tough to notice. There are a couple of other spots later where the double tracking on them isn't spot on.

I'd bring up the harmony vocals just a bit. They are nice, but a little soft. I'd probably track four performances and pan two somewhat hard to each side.

Last edited:
Left crash in second version much better. I actually like the edginess of the guitars. It's the kind of song that needs it.

Hello to all, thanks for the feedback i really appreciate it... for that here is a new mix,

- i put down a little the guitars (just a little),
- some editing on the guitars,
- add a filter on the snare to cut the low frequencies,
- on the guitar solo i boosted some frequencies to add more presence
- made a more precise ending, dryer.
- and a little eq on the bass and put it just a little up.

Let me know what you think... you can check the previous versions to compare.

Carpe Diem V3

Regards.

Hey Zero. I listened to the first and third mixes.

Turning down the guitars seemed to decrease the overall energy in the intro. I suppose it's a more balanced mix, but it just seemed more low-key.

Guitar and bass tone are good.

Vocals are quite cool!

Thanks guys... if there are no more comments, i think this will be the final mix.

Thanks a lot to all...

Great song!

My suggestions:

Turn down the OPEN hi-hat a little.

Turn up the LEAD GUITAR a little bit during the solo.

The vocal seems just a wee bet low, but I don't think the 'volume' needs to come up, if you could EQ for more presence that should do the trick.

As Mattd said, the end seems abrupt or cut off sounding. Maybe add another guitar track to hit the last couple of notes again?

Great performances and song!

yeah the crashes do seem a little imbalanced....buts thats about it...great playing and the vocals are excellent...clean mix too and I can hear everything at the right level for me

nice job mate :)

Thanks for the feedback guys... you are awesome... i'm mixing a new song right now... i hope to be able to post it tomorrow.

Best Regards!

Version 3:

Rhythms guitars are way too loud. Drope em some, like 1 db, and I think you're ready. They're stomping all over everything.

Back