Carol Kaye - muting her bass

Bodhisan

Hillbilly
I just read the article in tapeop with Carol. She talked about using mutes on her bass, and there's a picture of her with a Fender, and she's got masking tape going across the strings right above the bridge. She also talked about taking a piece of felt, doubling it up, and taping it to the strings in the earlier days (maybe that's what the picture depicts -- I can't tell if there is felt under the tape). Anyone do this or something similar? She says it helps take out the overtones and undertones that would cut into the bass...

I play double bass (upright), many db players dampen the strings on the other side of the bridge (between the bridge and tailpiece) for the same reason. Mostly done by jazz players or other styles that get amplified. Makes the tone more focused and less prone to some feedback.

I used to try alot of dampening string methods,from ducktape to whatever.
I eliminated everything because what I got was a UNIFORM dampening control and I begun practicing Anthony Jackson's right hand damping technique (try listen some of his lines or see some of his live videos).
Well,as for me,THAT'S IT!!! :D
This technique gives me the absolute control about every note I want to play.More muffled,dark or partially defined,it's all in your right palm!
As I recall,Fodera (www.fodera.com) made a string damping device but I don't see it on the site right now.
Write them a mail!
HTH

i mute mine... at the nut i have a shoe lace that runs under the strings i can slide it right up next to the nut itself and i have very little if any effect there then slide it up to the middle of the first fret and it sounds all muted and fat/warm :) it works! victer wooten(i think thats how its spelled) uses a ladies hair scrunchy on the strings then slide it behind the nut when not in use.......

Do a google for "bassmute", it's a dutch infention (guess where I'm from ;)) that is comprised of a small piece of tweaked foam next to each string, and a switch on the side to move them off of/on to the strings. My bassteacher has one on his 6 strings. Works and sounds great. Costs way too much.

Halion said:
it's a dutch invention (guess where I'm from ;)) that is comprised of a small piece of tweaked foam next to each string, and a switch on the side to move them off of/on to the strings.
So this is the original idea "stolen" by Fodera ? :D

Back