Carcassi - EQ balance?

XLR

______
A classical guitar piece from the early 1800s. It's an exercise designed to help students learn to read music in the upper positions of the fretboard.

Study in F

All comments welcome, especially re EQ balance.

Nice playing Tim. Nice reverb on it. Almost sounds like a concert hall. EQ sounds pretty good. If it were me, I'd add a little to the high end, but I think that's just my personal taste. I've never recorded classical guitar, so I'm probably totally wrong in this situation.

Cool playing Tim...and it sounds pretty fine. Very natural sounding to me.....what I might expect from sitting in a small hall and listening.

Xeries, faderbug, Dogman, cmhansen, ido1957, eyema - thanks for listening and the feedback.

One vote for a little more highs.

i have no comment. it's really clear, the tone is excellent right hand technique, it has a presence, but it's not like you're playing in a cathedral.

just watch for ringing strings and really let the constant quarter bass note section get nuts with the dynamics/phrasing.

Ha, ha, It appears I'm in the minority of one when it comes to more highs. May stem from the fact that I'm so used to recording my steel string acoustic with the natural highs in the guitar. :D

This sounds incredible.

The EQ is nice (maybe a touch more highs like mentioned previously) but it's not really huge deal. It sounds very very good.

Reactions: XLR
EQ sounds similar to some of the other clips you've posted in the past, with the exception of the bass of course (5th position). I don't quite hear the fingernails on the strings as much, so maybe a little more high end. I'm no expert here.....

Thanks for sharing with us.
Cheers,

Reactions: XLR
Very good piece - well recorded, played and EQ'd.
Will a little more top end emphasize the reverb/room?
If no, then a little more please.

EQ sounds similar to some of the other clips you've posted in the past, with the exception of the bass of course (5th position). I don't quite hear the fingernails on the strings as much, so maybe a little more high end. I'm no expert here.....

Thanks for sharing with us.
Cheers,

ok...does anyone play classical guitar? not put nylon string guitar into their midi compositions...but play.

he's probably developed his technique so there is less nail noise...and now you want more?

Last edited:
cello, David, Dylan S, Chili, rayc, cmhansen - Thanks for your input.

So four more votes for a little more highs.

After taking a break from listening to it I'm noticing a room/guitar emphasis in the 440 Hz area especially when the first string A is played. I think that's masking the highs and have adjusted to try to get more clarity without losing fullness. I'll post the version later today.

I don't quite hear the fingernails on the strings as much...
Perceptive... I played this with a different right hand touch to be less percussive... going for a smoother attack and less aggressive sound.

there is less nail noise...and now you want more?
I read Chili's comment as wanting a brighter balance, not necessarily more nail attack.

watch for ringing strings
I like the ringing arpeggios during the D minor phrase that create that syncopated upper voice, and thought it might sound good to keep that same sustain in the F major arpeggios that mark the other cadences. It doesn't. It robs the phrase endings of decisiveness to have the other arpeggio tones over-ringing the final low F so I redid it with a more traditional articulation of those F major arps. Good call.

No, I don't play classical guitar, I hacked it to pieces and gave up trying a long time ago. :D I don't use midi except for ezdrummer.

I bought his Two Arts cd a year or so ago and love it. I also have several downloads from which I compared to this post. I can hear fingernails before and thought he is looking to capture the same sound. XLR can use my opinion how he sees fit. It's not worth much, but it's out there.

Cheers,

I just noticed a weird glitch in the BBS software... Chili's last post was made one minute later than mine. But on the mp3 Clinic main page mine is shown in the listing as the last comment, also on the HR main page. [insert Twilight Zone music]

davidk uses synths a lot.

i guess i just really dislike it when nylons are too bright (usually its flamenco guitar that sounds bright)

davidk uses synths a lot.

:confused:

Ummmm,:confused: Is there a relevance here? If you are suggesting that I want more high end because I use synths,:rolleyes: keep in mind that I have toured with Pepe Romero 8 times and did 2 festivals, thats over 200 concerts. Ive played with all the Romeros and backed up Angel many times. Ive played the Rodrigo Concerto probably 500 times. I played it in Germany FOR Rodrigo himself in 1990 and met the guy, was at the Rodrigo festival. Ive played with every major soloist from Sharon Isbin to John Williams, Ive recorded the Boccerini Guitar Quintet, and the Vivaldi guitar concerto transcriptions. And Ive even recorded with our very own XLR.:cool:

Trust me, I have heard a geetar before. I have two in my living room.:eek::D

Back