Capturing a mixdown with hardware vs In the Box functionality

Simmons

Is there any consensus on whether it's better to capture a mix with a stand alone system (CDR or another computer) rather than to use the audio mixdown features in a software package. I use Cubase SX 3 for example....24 bit 48k. I need to mix a project and I'm debating whether to invest in a unit like the HHB BurnIt 830 or just use Cubase for the mixdown process. Any thoughts?

If you are satisfied with cubase's mix downs, keep using it. If you think the mix downs sound worse that what you are monitoring during playback, get the CD burner. If not, you will have wasted your money.

Mixing out of the box, sending separate channels to a mixer, will give you a much different feel. It will sound a lot different than mixing ITB. But just sending the left/right outputs to a CD burner will not give you a big difference in sound.
It will give you several opportunities to make it sound worse. You have to watch your gain staging so you don't clip the CD burner. You will be adding the sound of your d/a converters and the HHBs input converters. Your cables might suck, etc...

I'm probably saying essentially the same thing as Farview but......I would stick to Cubase unless I had GOOD D/A converters, a GOOD mixer, or some type of summing device like the following:

http://www.barryrudolph.com/mix/strictlysumming.html

Unfortunately, GOOD means expensive. Of course, having said that, I would love to hear some comparison mixes featuring a mid-priced setup. Maybe comparing an ITB mix with an OTB mix using a firewire interface (MOTU, RME, Metric Halo) and somehing like a mid-priced Yamaha or Allen & Heath mixer.

Back