Capturing 4 tracks at once

eternalpayn

Hey everyone. I recently got a Behringer MX602a mixer. I've got cables to get instruments into it, and cables that go from the 'tape out' part to 1/8th inch cables. I've also got a USB mic.

I'm running into the problem of recording multiple instruments at once. From what I understand, I can pan one track to the left, one to the right, and use a headphone splitter to get 2 tracks into 1 line in on my computer, and then record stereo. After that I can split the tracks into 2 mono ones.

My question is, how would I get a third, or even fourth instrument into this? I have absolutely no idea how I would do this on the computer. I am on a budget of pretty much nothing, so pro tools and things like that are out of the question. Are there any cheap (preferably free) programs that would let me record from multiple line-ins at once on different tracks?

My next question is, can I even get more individual tracks out of the mixer? I was thinking maybe panning the third and the forth opposite of each other, and disabling the aux on 1 and 2. Then I'd maybe hook up the aux send to a recorder, and capture it that way?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if I'm not clear on anything, feel free to ask.

Well honestly I dont think it is possible to get more then 2 tracks the way you're doing it.

A mixer is supposed to take the individual line ins and, well, mix them. Its not really intended to send individual outputs although some can. What you should look into is a cheaper Audio interface. Thats about the only way I can see you recording multiple tracks at once. What kind of things are you recording? Your not going to find many if any programs that will do what your looking for. Look at some audio interfaces and see if they happen to come with software.

Maybe someone else will be able to help a bit more and I wish you good luck.

Alright, thanks. I was afraid of that :/. Does anyone know of any cheap audio interfaces that record 4 tracks at once? Preferably around a hundred bucks. I'm pretty much recording a couple of my friends' bands, as well as a few of my own songs. (Although for those I already have the required equipment, I can't play more than 1 instrument at once :P)

Edit:
Would an M-Audio Delta 44 allow me to record 4 simultaneous tracks in Audacity?

Last edited:
Yes it will record 4 tracks at once. Make sure you look at connectivity and compatibility so you dont have any set up issues. There is also no MIDI I/O just to make you aware if you werent already.

Back