Captive Audience (original)

johnnymegabyte

Record live off the floor. with my band Jabez Stone.. No overdubs, just post-mix the 6 live tracks.
It's uploaded here ---> Jabez Stone - ReverbNation - Captive Audience (original)

We used 2 mics on the drums (L + R), one for the lead guitar player's amp, singer direct (add M30 Reverb), bass direct (Amplitube Free bass amp), second guitar direct (via Zoom G3, which was also going to my new Tech 21 Power Engine) individually into my Tascam audio interface. Of course there was some bleed from the guitars into the 2 drum mics & the singer's mic. Only the singer and bass where coming back out of the monitors. And spaghetti of wire on the floor. This was the sixth take.

Sounds pretty good. Sounds like a live recording. The high hats had me rushing to turn the volume down. The drum sound is a bit lacking in general but I understand the circumstances. Maybe cut some highs on the drums to tame the high hats and crashes-the toms and snare sound good they're just getting drowned out. There's also some moments of indecision when transitioning from verse to chorus and again when coming out of the guitar solo. If you consider a song ready to record and have already done six takes I would expect for those transitions to be worked out already. I like the rhythm guitar sound in the back, almost sounded like vibes at one point and the clean flange sound gives some depth to the bands sound. Overall you can hear everything and you get your song across though you could probably improve on the recording quality a bit with some experimentation.

Strat

i think its a good song. tho the high hat is blistering it certainly is the loudest thing on my monitors. vocals are cool and colorfull! rhythem and lead gtr doest add... it just kinda there...mix wise. bass is nicely played and pronounced, tho is bur ried in the final mixes comp?

Very little low end. boost the kick and cut the bass in the same place as you boost the kick. then boost the bass at a slightly higher frequency. around 150-250 most likely. In the future if you need to record drums with 2 mics use the recorder-man technique. If you have a mixer you could use more drums and mix them in advance and bus the left and the right on that. Overall its a pretty cool song though :D

Record live off the floor. with my band Jabez Stone.. No overdubs, just post-mix the 6 live tracks.
It's uploaded here ---> Jabez Stone - ReverbNation - Captive Audience (original)

We used 2 mics on the drums (L + R), one for the lead guitar player's amp, singer direct (add M30 Reverb), bass direct (Amplitube Free bass amp), second guitar direct (via Zoom G3, which was also going to my new Tech 21 Power Engine) individually into my Tascam audio interface. Of course there was some bleed from the guitars into the 2 drum mics & the singer's mic. Only the singer and bass where coming back out of the monitors. And spaghetti of wire on the floor. This was the sixth take.

Sounds harsh to me. I like the guitar sound, although I would lay off the high mids on the whole Mix.
The cymbals are pretty harsh also, try calming the high end on them.

G

Back