capstan turns!

tapeboy

My old soundcraft 760 24 track machine has stopped working! Powers up but nothing else? Weird thing is the capstan is spinning around fast and endlessly?! Could it be something electronic? I love my machine PLEASE help! I live in Denmark and they are ALL digital heads, so NO engineers in site!!

tapeboy said:
My old soundcraft 760 24 track machine has stopped working! Powers up but nothing else? Weird thing is the capstan is spinning around fast and endlessly?! Could it be something electronic? I love my machine PLEASE help! I live in Denmark and they are ALL digital heads, so NO engineers in site!!

Go to Pro Sound Web in Dave Hecht's forum. He is the tech head:
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/30/7430/

I doubt you will get any info here as this deck is not only rare, it was a real oddball in it's time.

I'm not familiar with the inner workings on a Soundcraft deck as I use a TASCAM 1", 16 track but they both share a couple of similarities in the transport design in that both are 3 motor direct drive system that are designed to run under external synchronizers which require lots of additional circuitry to control the movement and speed and the basic internal operation of all three motors so yes, there will be a motor control board or two to look at as well as the fuses from the power supply to the transport.

I once had a total transport failure on my deck which turned out to be a single failed transistor on the motor logic board. Odds are, something similar has happened on yours too as decks of that vintage can be prone to parts like transistors and diodes simply dropping dead from thermal runaway. And, the more heat the transistor was designed to endure, the higher the probability that one of those is at fault here so look at the ones that are mounted on heat sink plates first.

Good luck. :)

Cheers! :)

And check for blown fuses too. ;) I know that would be too easy, but you might luck out. :)

Back