Can't Record MONO with MIC IN R (TASCAM)!

Blackthoven

Hey guys,

I've noticed that when I try to record MONO with my TASCAM US-122 MKII using the MIC IN R or even the Line in/Guitar in (right side) I'm unable to record any sounds at all. It IS picking up sounds, because the input signal is lighting up, and I can hear it through the monitor function, but when I record using Cubase LE 5 nothing is captured unless, of course, I have a stereo track recording.

I know it's not Cubase itself, because I've tried with other programs and there's still no sound being recorded, and recording mono with the left side (MIC IN & Line IN L) works perfectly fine!

It has worked before, because I've used it, and I see no reason why it should be broken. I tried re-installing the driver but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've figured out some ways around this (e.g. recording a stereo track and splitting it into a mono track afterwards), but I'd still like to know if I can record a mono with both the left & right side simultaneously, without having to split them!

Thanks!

Last edited:
At the top of the track you are trying to record to, there is a place to select the input that you wish to record. by default, it will be the left side or input 1. You need to change it to the right side or input 2.

At the top of the track you are trying to record to, there is a place to select the input that you wish to record. by default, it will be the left side or input 1. You need to change it to the right side or input 2.

Derp.

So, that worked! I can record mono with the right side now, however, it would seem that I can only select mono inputs 'L' OR 'R' only, not both at the same time! Though, I suppose that's not a big deal seeing as I can just drag and drop a stereo recording onto a mono track, and so I'm satisfied!

@Jimmy & mjbphotos: I did have the mono bus' up, I just needed to change the track's default input as Farview suggested! However, perhaps you guys can help me figure out how to select both the "R" & "L" under one mono bus, if that's possible, or how to select both device ports with mono input during a recording. Do I need to create two mono tracks with different device ports?

Here's a screen shot (attached) to better illustrate!

connections.jpg

Well, you can't. A mono source is only one input. A mono track will play through both sides. The only way to record a stereo track, is to have two separate input sources, and record to a stereo track.

Interesting, so the only way to get a mono recording of, say, my guitar with two mics is via stereo, and then afterwards switch the output to mono?

Just record each mic to a separate mono track, then pan them if you want. Output is always stereo by default. Mono refers to the source (input). It still is played through both speakers.

Did that make any sense??? lol!

If you want to record to stereo track, you need to add a stereo input under vst inputs. you can have inputs one and two going to both of the mono inputs and a stereo input at the same time.

Back