Can't record MIDI although I'm doing everything right?

Oysterman

I didn't know where to put this, since I don't know specifically what is at fault, with many components involved. It does focus on MIDI though, so here goes.

I have (borrowed) an Alesis DM5 drum module. I wish to set it up so it both can send and receive MIDI data to and from my STAudio DSP24VE card's MIDI inputs. My goal is to be able to record a drummer's performance by triggering a drum kit, and then have the option of choosing drum sounds during the mixing process, from the DM5 or in SoundFont format.

I've connected the MIDI in on the DM5 to the MIDI out on the DSP24VE. Also, the MIDI out/thru on the DM5 is connected to the MIDI in on the sound card.

I start Cakewalk PA9. I play a previously programmed MIDI drum track choosing the MIDI out which goes to the DM5. The DM5 receives the data and starts playing drums. OK, it works that way.

Then I arm a track with MIDI Omni as source for recording. I begin recording. I trigger the DM5 (using either the preview button featured on the DM5 or an external drum trigger), and the display responds, but NO MIDI DATA IS RECORDED. I simply can't figure out why, I have chosen the right ports, I've armed the track, I've checked all cables, I've read the manual, I've checked the sound card settings, I seem to have tried everything that could possibly be wrong... but I'm still clueless. Why doesn't CWPA9 receive any MIDI data from the DM5? Or does it in fact receive it, but ignores it for some reason?

Any tips? Help? :(

The display responds? In what way?

Are you sure that the DM5 is sending any MIDI data through the out/through port?

AlChuck said:
The display responds? In what way?
The DM5 has a horizontal graphic bar that shows the velocity which the note event had. This only shows that the triggers and the preview button work.

Are you sure that the DM5 is sending any MIDI data through the out/through port?
No, I am not. I suppose I should try record something from another MIDI device, such as a keyboard... I just have to find someone who has a keyboard I could borrow.

The problem is probably the OUT/Thru on the Alesis. Will it merge the data or is it only out or thru. That is very important because a pure Thru will pass on data but not necessarily add its own to it.

Make sure you have the port set to OUT and not just THRU.

Tex, I'm positive it was set to OUT. I checked and double-checked the settings.

I haven't got hold of another MIDI device to try, but I tried to "short-circuit" the MIDI in and out of my sound card, by connecting them with one cable. I couldn't record anything that way either, but maybe I'm not supposed to? I don't know.

This is frustrating. The DM5 is in pristine condition, so I doubt it is at fault... but this whole business makes me wonder about my sound card and its drivers...

I really hope it's my brain and not my gear that is at fault. The brain can be corrected through words, but I don't have the money to correct faulty equipment!

Some sequencers and midi utilities allow you to do a loop test by looping your MIDI out to the MIDI in on your card.

I remember Midiman had a utility for that. At least then you can be sure if the card is working properly.

Back