can't open Sonar or EZ CD Creator

Brian Ferrell

Ever since I transferred a song from Sonar 1.3.1 to EZ CD Creator to burn the finished product I can't open either of these programs up. When I try to open Sonar (Window 98SE) I get the following messages:

'C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Sonar 1\Sonar.exe
A device attached to the system is not functioning'

When I hit OK I get the next message:

'The MSVP60.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL:_lc_collate_cp.'

When I try to open up EZ CD Creator I get this message:

'EZ CD CReator Engine initialization has failed. (could not create the engine)'

Could I have corrupted a file during disk defragging (which I'd done since the first transfer of the song)?

I've already reinstalled my sound card drivers and Sonar so that's not the problem. I've been working with Cakewalk tech support all week trying to get these programs to work but to no avail. They even sent me updated versions of the 2 files in question. I'd hoped that someone on this forum might have had a similar problem and knew of a solution. I'm clutching at straws at this point. I guess I should've taken Slackmaster's advice and dual booted and used a second HD. I intended to but ran into financial probs.

Wow! Are you sure it wasn't an executable file (exe or dll) that you "transferred" instead of a song file?

How did you "transfer" it from SONAR? Do you mean that you exporetd a WAV mix, then closed SONAR, opened EZ CD Creator, and used the exported WAV as your source? Or didi you do it in some other fashion? (Your use of the word "transfer" makes me suspicious.)

Did you try a search on MSVCRT.DLL? Sonar's executable clearly can't find it.

I see you already tried to re-install SONAR. What about EZ CD Creator?

Thanks for replying Alchuck. Yes, I exported a WAV. mix, closed Sonar and imported the WAV. mix to EZ CD Creator. All I know is: I was able to burn a good copy of it to CD from EZ CD Creator. I'd burned other earlier versions on different dates of the same song using what I think are the same methods with no problems, so I don't know how I could've done something different last time.
Yep, I did a search for MSVCRT.DLL:_lc_collate_cp. but Windows couldn't find it.
Now........there is a MSVCRT.DLL file in the Windows System folder, but I can't find MSVCRT.DLL:_lc_collate_cp. anywhere. Cakewalk emailed me a supposed update of the MSVCRT.DLL file and told me to put it in the Windows System 32 folder, restart my computer and try opening Sonar but it still didn't work. I tried deleting the MSVCRT.DLL in the Windows System folder and putting the one Cakewalk sent in there, restarted the PC, but Sonar still wouldn't start.
You may have a point about reinstalling EZ CD Creator. I thought about doing that myself but wanted to get Cakewalk tech support's OK on it first. I will try that and let you know. Thanks again.

Yep, I did a search for MSVCRT.DLL:_lc_collate_cp. but Windows couldn't find it.

The file name is just MSVCRT.DLL; the error message is quoting a variable name or function name inside the DLL, most likely. In other words, _lc_collate_cp is the name of something inside the file MSVCRT.DLL. I'm realizing now that this doesn't mean that the file is missing, necessarily, just that it cannot resolve some function call or something, which might mean the DLL is corrupt.

Good luck, sounds very mysterious. I doubt it has anything to do with what you describe as the suspected cause, that makes no sense at all. I think it's a matter of timing -- whatever is barfing just happened to occur in such a sequence that it made you think they were related.

I guess it's possible the defrag fucked up the files, but I've defragged dozens of times on six or seven computers over the last ten years or so and never once did it cause me any grief.

What else could be wrong? Perhaps the disk is beginning to fail. Have you performed a disk scan? I suppose it could also be a nasty virus mucking up files.

Bingo!!!!!!!
I uninstalled, then reinstalled EZ CD Creator, restarted the PC and Bingo; I was able to start both programs again! Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks, AlChuck for pushing me to reinstall EZ because I was gonna wait all weekend (suffering) until Cakewalk got back to me, but you pushed me over the edge. Apparently, something got screwed up when I imported the song to EZ and it just wouldn't unhang until I reinstalled EZ- maybe an EZ file got corrupted and it was still somehow connected to Sonar- weird! But what a relief. I thought for sure I was gonna lose all the work I did on that song, what with all the uninstalling/reinstalling and deletion of files. Thanks again AlChuck!!!!!

Cool...

This is just a guess, but the name MSVCRT looks suspiciously like a Microsoft system DLL, so it's possible it's some audio subsystem thing and it got hosed and caused SONAR and EZ CD Creator to hang because it's used by both programs...

You are correct Sir! Ha, Ha, Ha! (as Ed McMahon would say to Johnny Carson and Phil Hartman so hilariously mimicked). Actually you are both right. The file is a Microsoft (R) C++ file. When I finally got both programs opening again I decided to take Cakewalk's advice and reinstall Sonar after deleting certain files. While uninstalling, a dialog box came up that said something to the effect of 'MSVCRT.DLL is no longer being used by any programs' and asked if I wanted to delete it. I clicked 'Yes'. After reinstalling Sonar I found the file restored to its original place in the Windows System folder.

Glad to hear you're getting things back on track !!
- good pun! Thanks again, guys.

Back