Can't install TASCAM us-144 drivers on Windows 7

LKMAustin

I am not into home recording but have been having fun learning some new things for a project. I am trying to get some old cassette tapes onto a digital file and using a TASCAM us-144mkll to transfer from cassette deck to my laptop, running Windows 7, 32 bit. I have Audacity installed on it to clean up the sound. The problem I am running into is installing the drivers. When I go to the TASCAM site and try to download the driver version for my Windows, a zipped file opens up but there's no way to run the program. I have the TASCAM plugged in.

Any suggestions?

MKII driver install does not care if it connected.

What internet browser are you using?

With Firefox:

After downloading driver from Tascam, just open the folder at the top right 'down arrow'. You will see the 'tascam_us_122_144mk2_win '64 or 32 bit version that applies to you'.

Double left click on that. Winrar should open up. Double click on TASCAM_USB_X...

'Setup.exe' is near the bottom of the list. Double click on that. Follow the steps.

I think I've successfully installed the drivers. Audacity is seeing the device. I can choose it in speakers and Line In. I'm still not hearing the tape when it plays and not sure where to go next.

In the drop down selection boxes for the devices you should see something like Tascam US-122 or US-144 if the drivers are installed correctly. Can you hear the tape if you plug headphones into the Tascam?

I'm seeing it in the drop downs but not hearing it when I plug my phones into the tascam. Audacity shows no activity.

Select the Tascam.

If you cannot hear the input via the Tascam headphone jack, then you need to turn the 'Monitor' knob to input. If that doesn't work then you have an issue with your input connection (mic or cable) or your interface if fooked. If you are trying to monitor back from Audacity (computer), then it seems you have not selected it as your interface or there is an issue with your routing within Audacity.

Success! On a different computer. Was able to get it going on my Mac. Now my only issue is that I can't seem to get the right-side audio to work. I've got white rca in left in and left out, red rca in right in and right out. I know that's really basic but is that right?

Back