can't hear soundfonts loaded to livesynth

postalblue

i open it as i would a regular dxi synth, find the soundfont i want, hit 'load', set the midi track output to 'livesynth', but when i open the piano roll, there is no sound.

yes.
there are only two tracks on the project, and the midi file is selected.
maybe it's got to do with the fact that i have two soundcards running on my pc, an aardvark 2496 and an sblive. the 2496 doesn't play midi sounds.

The whole idea behind a DXi is the midi is not dependant on the soundcard. It converts the midi to audio on the fly and routes audio to your soundcard. You don't need a card with a midi synth.

Here's two things to check.

1. On the audio track that the DXi is patched to, do you have the Out routed to the correct sound card (i.e., the one your speakers are hooked up to)?

2. Have you selected a bank and patch on the midi track?

damn, i can't check that now, i'm at work.
i'll check that when i get home, and i'll get back to you, but as far as i can remember, i didn't find any bank, patch or output options on the livesynth interface. i must be going blind. i did download a soundfont player called bs-1, and it does work, but it sounds kind of strange, not as good as the vsampler. i'd use the vsampler, but it's a demo version, and i can't save anything i do with it, so i'd like to get the livesynth to work.

4ever said:
Also, is the audio engine on? (see the joystick icon in the icon bar above)
I thought it was a (!), but that's just me... ;)

Postalblue:
Just a basic question so we know where to start: Do you see the meters moving?

postalblue said:
damn, i can't check that now, i'm at work.
i'll check that when i get home, and i'll get back to you, but as far as i can remember, i didn't find any bank, patch or output options on the livesynth interface. i must be going blind. i did download a soundfont player called bs-1, and it does work, but it sounds kind of strange, not as good as the vsampler. i'd use the vsampler, but it's a demo version, and i can't save anything i do with it, so i'd like to get the livesynth to work.
The bank and patch options are on the Midi track, not the Live Synth Pro track.

The only thing you should need to do with Live Synth Pro is to patch it onto an audio track and load the soundfont. The rest is controlled from the midi track The midi track output should point to the Live Synth Pro, and the audio track output should point to the correct pair on your soundcard.

moskus,

i didn't check the meters because i hadn't really done anything with the sequencer. i was just trying to load the soundfont so i could start working with the sounds. i'll program something, and check the meters when i get home.

dachay2tnr,

that's why i couldn't remember seeing any of that on livesynth. :D
i'll double check the settings, and see if it works.

thanks for all the help, guys. i'll log in tonight when i get home to let you guys know if the problem is sorted.

how stupid am i!?

ok, guys, it's sorted. here's what i did-

insert audio track
add live synth on effects
browse for soundfont
load soundfont
bank = 0

insert midi track
set ouput as livesynth
set bank as 0 = soundfont
play piano keys on piano roll = nothing
sequence some stuff on piano roll, hit play = nothing
no midi signal on midi inpu/output activity device
no movement on the meters

solution... TA DA!
stupid me forgot to select channel 10 for drums on the midi channel!
i realized this when i loaded a melodic instrument, and it played. i then set the midi channel to 10, and voilà.
i'm so sorry to have wasted your time, guys. thanks for all the help. all your pointers were helpful.

one more thing though- for those of you who have both the vsampler and livesynth (and bs-1), have you noticed that the vsampler kind of screws up the samples? it plays them inconsistently, it seems. there's wavering in the volume and stuff like that. i'm glad i didn't cave in and bought it. also, there's a bug that probably has already been fixed, but anyway, whenever i delete a dxi instrument, it messes up the ouput configuration on the other midi dxi tracks. i have then to go through each one and set the correct instrument to each track. and to top it off, it doesn't keep the changes the first time i save and close the file. i have to restart sonar for it to be effective. what are you gonna do...

VSampler Roolz...

one more thing though- for those of you who have both the vsampler and livesynth (and bs-1), have you noticed that the vsampler kind of screws up the samples?
Are you using VS 2.75 or VS3? There's a Beta4 version of VS3 that will be released imminently.

They have a forum for VS bug reports at their site.

--
BluesMeister

Back